Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which LC500 v8 model years are quieter due to emission? 

SC121

Which LC500 v8 model years are quieter due to emission?
I'm interested in buying a used Lexus LC500 v8 and noticed on some online YouTube videos that some of the newer model years seem a little quieter, possibly the 2020 year onwards (?)

However videos from USA variants all seem louder, even the newest 2022-23 models. So maybe the USA do not have the same emissions restrictions as the UK/Europe, is that right?

I'm not looking for an outrageously loud car, I just want to be able to hear that sweet v8.

p.s. I know its very difficult to judge car sound from an online video, different microphones/setups, speakers etc...

Thanks in advance.

Its only really loud when it first starts up from cold, or it you take it over 3000 rev's, i find that a lot of the USA owners have found a way of keeping the exhaust valve's open all the time which will make the car sound louder all the time, the same as if you put it in sports or sport + mode.

to be honest other than the slight exhaust ( V8 ) burble on tick over its pretty quiet.

You can check by looking at the bhp - 471 are pre GPF and louder, the newer 464 lost 7 bhp due to the GPF and will be quieter. Crossover was 2018-ish I think. It’s only EU cars that went silly because climate - I think the US still get proper exhausts. Mines a GPF car but it’s a convertible which does help with the noise compared to the coupe I drove. There’s a difference with the GPF but it’s not night and day, plus you can always add an exhaust valve controller from Etsy or pull the plugs off the two exhaust valves. I have an Etsy controller but I’m not convinced it works…

You can get a valve controller from Etsy that will make a newer car a little louder/deeper below 4000rpm, however they will never have the same bark as the earlier cars.

Not a great video, but you get the idea: 

Its amazing how quickly you can fill a space like that up with emissions!

What flooring did you get Brett?

The pre GPF LC with the valves open is obnoxious to say the least!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 96spec said:

Its amazing how quickly you can fill a space like that up with emissions!

What flooring did you get Brett?

The pre GPF LC with the valves open is obnoxious to say the least!

It's from Duramat - called "Duratred", quite easy to lay - but it's got some weight to it!

Probably took less than an hour to lay that lot.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links