Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

53 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

So about a £squid bought a couple of the appropriate bulbs  ! 
Well done 👍 

Malc 

Thanks and yes, a few quid on bulbs when I order them tomorrow. Not sure about the cluster light fittings themselves so will swop them over.
I spent the last few days printing off circuit diagrams and trying to work out what could be the cause. A classic case of thinking it’s something complicated when in reality it’s not, can’t see the wood for the trees. I really should know better but when it’s yourself in the ‘situation’, logic and clear thinking sometimes goes out the window depending on what has happened.
I had established yesterday that 12 volts was being supplied to the stop lights, the grounding/earth was ok because the tail lights worked. In hindsight the cause was obvious yesterday but the penny didn’t drop until this afternoon.
And just imagine if I had got an auto electrician or Lexus to have a look, what a chump I would have looked🤣

• Haha 2

I've done this in the past many times, the last one was a misfire when warm on my bmw e30.  I changed gaskets, seals, afm, tps etc trying to chase.  Turns out it was a dodgy set of NGK plugs that I had just recently fitted. 

I consistently ignored them because I knew they were new, and didn't think that they could be faulty.  I only solved the issue after checking everything else then finding that Bosch plugs were oem in the manual, once I switched to a new set of Bosch plugs the problem was fixed.  Ever since then I'll throw time and money at the basics then go into deeper fault finding.

Really happy for you that it was a simple fix in the end.  Leaves more time for all the other things life throws at us! 🙂

• Like 2

To add some clarity regarding which bulbs are required (single/dual) for the rear outer lights, and hopefully help other people, I’ve spent some time on my car with new bulbs and what I’ve found is below.

Outer Cluster wiring:
Top lights - 3 wires - wired/configured for dual filament bulb with dual filament fittings
Middle indicator lights - 2 wires - wired/configured for single filament bulb with single filament fittings
Bottom lights - 3 wires - wired/configured for dual filament bulb with dual filament fittings.
A light/bulb failure is detected by voltage differences in the Light Failure Module and not by a 3rd wire to the light bulb fitting, anyway there would be a 3rd wire to the indicators as well, which there isn’t.

The top and bottom lights need a dual filament 21/5w bulb and the middle indicator lights need a single filament 21w bulb.
Top lights use the 5w filament part of the bulb for the tail lights - 21w filament part is not used
Bottom lights use the 21w filament part of the bulb for the stop lights - 5w filament part is not used.
A single filament bulb does not fit into a dual filament holder. It can be forced in as it was on my car for one of the brake lights, causing one of the issues I had, but should not be used even though only one filament of the dual filament bulb is actually used.

The light clusters are wired etc for dual filament stop/tail in the top and bottom lights but not enabled on the car. They are separated, as described above, top for tail lights and bottom for stop lights. You still need to fit dual filament bulbs top and bottom even though not all the filaments are used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

might it be a tad simpler to just remove the dead bulbs and pop along to the Factor with bulbs in hand to replace 🙃

Malc

I’ve replaced all the bulbs with new ones that ‘should’ be in there. If the wrong bulb/s are in the car to start with, and it is entirely possible as illustrated with my car, when you take them to the motor factors for a replacement you will get the same bulbs which are not correct.
The point of my last post was to clarify what the configuration of the lights are, wiring/type of bulb fittings etc, and what type of bulbs ‘should’ be in the car so people can purchase the correct bulbs regardless of what bulbs are in the car.
It wasn’t an attempt to create a fancy/complicated/smarty pants way of bulb failure fault finding.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links