Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

When my current car became 10 years old and I could no longer get a Lexus warranty on it, I had to get breakdown assistance for myself.  I went with the Lexus Roadside Assistance version.  It has been well-priced and offers the full thing, including relay, european cover, onward travel and everything. Just over two years ago I paid £230 for two years.

I decided to sell my current Lexus myself, but rang up Lexus Roadside Assistance to see if I could transfer the cover to my new car. No, was the very simple answer, and nor could it be delayed til the cover on my new car ran out.  Maybe this is the modern way with breakdown people, but I know in the past the AA and the RAC were very happy to delay and restate cover.

It turns out though that the car itself is the thing that is covered, and it cannot be delayed or transferred. The breakdown assistance goes with the car and not the person.

So if you're buying a car, it's worth checking if there is residual cover from the last owner, and if you're selling it on, then it could be something worth mentioning to buyers.

I bought my first (of five) LSs in 1998, and in 25 years I've only needed to call them out once, and that was to deal with a problem caused by a Lexus technician.  It does make me feel it's a bit expensive, but I think I'm probably just repaying the debt I owe for all the early callouts I needed earlier in life. Many's the time I arrived places in a yellow lorry with an old volvo estate on the back

: o ) 

• Like 1

We just px’d the wife’s Honda against a new Toyota. As part of the deal when we bought the Honda 2 years ago we got 5 years free servicing and warranty. As you say, the remaining 3 years go with the car - I asked how the new owner would know and was told that when they booked a service they would be told then - I’m not sure that would happen !

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links