Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dead Is200

Go to solution Solved by ColinBarber,

Hi all,

I have had my is200 in storage the last few years tho regularly start it up to keep it ticking over.

On Saturday I replaced the Battery and during the process I accidently shorted my socket set across the positive terminal. (yes I'm an idiot!!! )

Car wont start and hazards stay on. looking for a bit of direction/help as to where I go from here to get her turning over again.

any help / advise would be greatly appreciated

Best Regards

Derek

Combination fuse > all the fuses > all the wiring > all the ECUs - roughly in that sort of sequence. 

Now on positive side - most likely one of the fuses have blown and protected ECUs/wiring and you just need to find which one, but that is about 50/50% chance when the Battery itself was shorted. Because when you short something "down the wire", you will short only one particular part e.g. if you short headlights wire, then the damage will be just to headlight wiring and most likely just going to blow headlights fuse. But when you short the main Battery terminals, you basically short ALL the systems at once, so instead of say having one 10, 15, 20 or 30A fuse, you may have 1000A combined across few dozens of fuses and something may burn before the fuses pop. So positive 50% - you will fine few blown fuses, negative 50% you burned something and now it will be needle in the haystack (quite literally) to find what it was.

Could well be beyond revival... I was working on IS250 which I suspect was jumped incorrectly for over a year and still trying catch last of the buggers out of it. Trust me - shorting Lexus is definitely the last thing you want to do. It would be less painful to pour petrol over it and set it on fire - at least the damage would be visible.   

1 minute ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Disconnect the battery for about ten min utes and reconnect. It may reboot the system.

very optimistic 🙂

I honestly wish that to be enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 5:54 PM, Linas.P said:

Combination fuse > all the fuses > all the wiring > all the ECUs - roughly in that sort of sequence. 

Now on positive side - most likely one of the fuses have blown and protected ECUs/wiring and you just need to find which one, but that is about 50/50% chance when the Battery itself was shorted. Because when you short something "down the wire", you will short only one particular part e.g. if you short headlights wire, then the damage will be just to headlight wiring and most likely just going to blow headlights fuse. But when you short the main Battery terminals, you basically short ALL the systems at once, so instead of say having one 10, 15, 20 or 30A fuse, you may have 1000A combined across few dozens of fuses and something may burn before the fuses pop. So positive 50% - you will fine few blown fuses, negative 50% you burned something and now it will be needle in the haystack (quite literally) to find what it was.

Could well be beyond revival... I was working on IS250 which I suspect was jumped incorrectly for over a year and still trying catch last of the buggers out of it. Trust me - shorting Lexus is definitely the last thing you want to do. It would be less painful to pour petrol over it and set it on fire - at least the damage would be visible.   

very optimistic 🙂

I honestly wish that to be enough.

Hi all, just an update on the above.

So i found 3 blown fuses :  20 amp ECU -01 , 15 amp  ETCS and 20 amp EFI.

after replacing these 3 and reconnecting the Battery i put key in the ignition and turned it  . . car began to turn over but then stopped! 

after checking the fuses again it was the same 3 blown.

After disconnecting Battery and replacing the the fuses once i connected the Battery again the same fuses immediately popped again!!

im at a loss as to do what i do next.

Again any help/advice/observations would be very welcome.

regards

Derek

So you have fried wiring which goes to the fuses you mentioned, I would not be surprised if after fixing that it will blow more fuses as the circuit connects further. But on the positive side you at least know which harness is fried... could be worse, when ECUs themselves are fired it may be more difficult. 

• Solution

I think the ETCS circuit only connects to the engine ECU so that one is easier to fault find. Disconnect the Battery and measure resistance from that fuse to ground to see it if is shorted, and then do the same with the ECU disconnected. You potentially have blown the ECU, or there is a short in the wiring loom from melted insulation.

Also worth checking the 120A alternator fuse hasn't blown.

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

So you have fried wiring which goes to the fuses you mentioned, I would not be surprised if after fixing that it will blow more fuses as the circuit connects further. But on the positive side you at least know which harness is fried... could be worse, when ECUs themselves are fired it may be more difficult. 

oh no . . . .not what i was hoping to hear. . . this could be an endless task and fit for the scrappy!!

thanks for reply

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links