Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking the plunge in to EV

10 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

Well, that's a £51K car just 2 years ago. Lost 60% of its value in 2 years

Then I suspect the full range, the EV concept, has more or less crashed with value and won’t stop going dooooown till rock bottom is reached, whatever that is …… maybe 90% in 3 years …… really zero value by year 4/5 ….. to be scrapped value 

No dealers going to hold paid for stock ….. the accountants won’t allow it I’m sure …… the buyers on finance will be “ buried “ and coming up for air will be a relief 🥲 

Good luck to all EV owners ….. you need it ! 

Malc 

4 minutes ago, GMB said:

"There's one born every minute. "  Quote -  PT Barnum I believe.  Show me the Egress.

Should have bought a Subaru Impreza  2.0 forged crank WRX STi  for £7K worth £25K plus now.

Subaru Impreza

2.0T WRX STi Litchfield Type 20 Hatchback 5dr Petrol Manual 4WD (400 ps)

2009 (09 reg)

£28,995

Fantastic cars ……. always highly thought of …… bought one at auction when I had my car sales business, my business partner could never bring himself to sell it Subaru Impreza WRX about 1988 era car …… a rocket machine, fabulous …… almost uninsurable tho’  😂

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Then I suspect the full range, the EV concept, has more or less crashed with value and won’t stop going dooooown till rock bottom is reached, whatever that is …… maybe 90% in 3 years …… really zero value by year 4/5 ….. to be scrapped value 

No dealers going to hold paid for stock ….. the accountants won’t allow it I’m sure …… the buyers on finance will be “ buried “ and coming up for air will be a relief 🥲 

Good luck to all EV owners ….. you need it ! 

Malc 

Well, actually I think this is now a bit of a bargain.

If I wasn't a happy owner of a Nissan Leaf e+, I would have probably bought this takumi one and keep it for the next 10 years,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

Well, actually I think this is now a bit of a bargain.

If I wasn't a happy owner of a Nissan Leaf e+, I would have probably bought this takumi one and keep it for the next 10 years,

The old maxim is the best time to buy is when the sellers are stampeding towards the exit door.

• Like 1

It’s not only EV’s. I px’d my 2 years Range Rover Velar in May against the Takumi. One of the major reasons for doing it was I got £ 62k for it having paid £ 70k - unheard of. The Velar is now worth £ 48k so a loss of £ 14k in 6 months and nearly double what it lost in 2 years. Takumi has lost about £ 18k so in real terms £ 4K more. Looking at it like this is the only way I can sleep at night !

14 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

It’s not only EV’s. I px’d my 2 years Range Rover Velar in May against the Takumi. One of the major reasons for doing it was I got £ 62k for it having paid £ 70k - unheard of. The Velar is now worth £ 48k so a loss of £ 14k in 6 months and nearly double what it lost in 2 years. Takumi has lost about £ 18k so in real terms £ 4K more. Looking at it like this is the only way I can sleep at night !

I really don't want to add to your woes, but the reality is any meaningful tech advance will simply accelerate the effect of obsolescence on existing stock. That factor isn't even really in play yet. My summary is EV is the equivalent of investing in Russia, or China. The risk is virtually incalculable so the only people doing it should be in a position to basically write off whatever they are spending on EV. That of course is just my opinion on the subject and of course that opinion is like your a.s. Everyone has one.

• Like 1

Maybe now's the time to " invest " in the last of the V6 Camry's coming off the line ............ wot a car to have for future appreciation maybe 😉

Certainly wouldn't see rampant erosion of wealth as with an EV !

Malc

• Like 1

Situation of the EV market differs per country but what makes the UK situation special is RHD. If we compare UK to the Netherlands the situation is not that different. Maybe the charging infrastructure is better in Holland and as a result there are more EVs around also being a much smaller country. Similar is that in both countries the EV market is fully driven by company car drivers and lease companies. Get a new car and get rid of it after 3/4/5 years. These cars then enter the second hand market and that's where the problem starts. The rapid Battery development makes a 4 yr old car an " old car " as newer better versions are available sometimes even cheaper. Then fiscal stimulation will disappear making ownership more expensive plus the doubt of the general public about longevity of batteries. Result? a second hand car market coming to a standstill. I spoke to a VW dealer telling me new EV sell ok but second hand stay there for 12 months until they have to move them off the balance sheet. In the Netherlands these cars are then exported to other countries with an interest of cheap motoring. BUT, where do you export to in the UK?? These cars are stuck and will continue to fall in value until someone bites. Just wait and see you can take one home in 12 months after bringing coffee for the staff!  

• Like 3

The UK seems to export lots of 2nd hand vehicles …….. to where I know not ……. I see them Qdup on the concrete at Peel Ports here at Sheerness docks ready to go ! 

Malc 

52 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

The UK seems to export lots of 2nd hand vehicles …….. to where I know not ……. I see them Qdup on the concrete at Peel Ports here at Sheerness docks ready to go ! 

Malc 

Malc, the majority are going to Rwanda and it's probably the only thing that is going to go to Rwanda🤨

• Haha 1

On the news just now. If Rwanda has failed two other countries are being proposed. I have heard that one of them is Wales. I wonder if the other is Scotland?

3 minutes ago, GMB said:

On the news just now. If Rwanda has failed two other countries are being proposed. I have heard that one of them is Wales. I wonder if the other is Scotland?

Those Welsh mountains have got to be good for something !

34 minutes ago, GMB said:

Greenland would be an interesting choice.

7 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

Greenland would be an interesting choice

I second that. I have only seen Greenland from a plane and it looks a bit bleak and damp. Come to think of it..... Just like Lancashire😾

P’raps Sark ?

No need for cars and English spoken and the Barclays possibly need the dough right now ( ask the bankers 😂 ) …….. holiday camps could be built there, copious sea views, excellent human rights record too and no worries of Human Rights ( or wrongs) issues going forward AND they could have the erstwhile facilities of the Ritz catering supremos 

Now then, what’s not to like ….. jobs for all maintaining the facilities and grounds, fresh sea bathing MyohMy sounds amazing …… no neighbours to complain whinge and whine 

That’d get my vote 👍

Malc 

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Note to Rishi ! Any illegal immigrant going to Rwanda gets a govt sponsored used car to drive upon arrival ! Crisis resolved .

Can they be retro fitted with solar panels 🤔

Malc 

19 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Can they be retro fitted with solar panels 🤔

Malc 

Pontoons might be more useful. Although surprisingly their rainfall monthly volumes are hardly different to ours.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links