Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Android Auto?

PWOOD

Having left the brand due to hopeless infotainment no PHEV or EV option the new infotainment  system appears a lot better. I'm looking at the RZ but seems Lexus don't value Android users the same as BMW, Jaguar etc who all have wireless connectivity.  I'm put off but wonder if Wireless Android is  an update Lexus plan on but getting it to behave is taking time?

Also  does the Lexus system have the ability to access Spotify without a phone via subscription for example as thats the  main use for me?

I agree that no wireless Android Auto availability in the new (or even slightly older) Lexus infotainment systems seems a bit strange. I wasn't aware that the other brands you mention have wireless AA in the UK as I thought that this was a general licensing issue with Google that affected all UK (and, I believe, European) cars.

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath for when Lexus (and Google) get round to sorting this out and actually enabling it. In the meantime I will continue to use my (faultless) AAWireless adaptor (search for it on these forums or on Google in general if you're interested) which gives me virtually the same thing as wireless AA.

As for your second question about Spotify - I don't believe that this is possible. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I briefly owned a Toyota CHR from new last year and the salesman told me it was wireless AA. Obviously it wasn't and I took this up with Toyota UK who stated that they will 'Most probably never support wireless AA'.

Like many others I purchased a dongle for my UX. It as performed faultlessly and has the benefit of not cooking the phone Battery - constantly.

I bought this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BRQ3RWFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and now it's even cheaper than I paid and I thought it was a bargain then!

Andy thanks for confirming that. I can confirm that JLR cars equipped with  PIVI-PRO have Android wireless connectivity for well over 2 years now. The latest BMW software also has wireless connectivity. I expect Merc is the same but not sure. In my EPace PHEV the Android connectivity can be glitchy but always works . Also with my Jag account I can connect to Spotify without the phone if I want as I have a Spotify subscription or  Ring Go etc. 

6 minutes ago, PWOOD said:

Also with my Jag account I can connect to Spotify without the phone if I want as I have a Spotify subscription or  Ring Go etc. 

I would imagine that this is enabled by having a distinct Spotify app built in to the Jag's infotainment system (similar to what Lexus have done in the US with apple Music and amazon Music). I can't see that kind of thing coming to UK Lexus cars anytime soon though.

I am no longer considering Lexus as yet again their anti-sales dept is working well.  Only Luxury brand thats not compatible with OVOs charge anytime App.  Toyota is not available either as did check. So anyone with a charger already is stuffed unless it's an OHME or some brand I've not heard of. No way I'm replacing an expensive Zappi charger for car with no Android Auto built in and more to the point poor range v price. I see now why without effort I was getting almost 7k off via CARWOW. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links