Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to purchase a SC430

Craig_f

On 11/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, Mossypossy said:

One just popped up. 15 Lexus service stamps. Perfect!

MOT mentions loads of rust. Not so perfect.

This just arrived today online. That's a lot of spec for the money plus it's the colour combo. If I did not have mine in that colour I would certainly be looking at it.

2002 Blue Lexus SC 430 4.3 Convertible 2dr Petrol Automatic (287 g/km, 282 bhp) for sale for £5,995 in WESTON-SUPER-MARE, SOMERSET (autotrader.co.uk)

5 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

My observations.

Coilovers!

Race chip?!

Outstanding recall, so has not seen a main dealer in a wee while.

Otherwise ticks boxes.

The recall will probably be for an airbag.

The Meister Rs are a good upgrade.

The race chip might be a throttle controller, could be a genuine Yuri all4swap ECU tweak from Phoenix at nearby Shepton Mallet (it often works on the pwr button) or it could be a 'scotch mist' switch. 🙂

Looks quite tidy but I would try to find a newer one.

Not me!

It seems there are very few blue/cream cars around post 2005. I had a blue/beige Saab 9000, and a blue/cream Saab 900 vert. 

I can patiently wait. If I bought one tomorrow it would spend most of the winter under cover any way.

DSC_0716.JPG

2017-07-05 14.47.22.jpg

P1060755.JPG

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Not me!

It seems there are very few blue/cream cars around post 2005. I had a blue/beige Saab 9000, and a blue/cream Saab 900 vert. 

I can patiently wait. If I bought one tomorrow it would spend most of the winter under cover any way.

DSC_0716.JPG

2017-07-05 14.47.22.jpg

P1060755.JPG

Yes, not the season to be driving, but on the other hand if you wait until it is you won't be in buyers territory anymore. Waiting into the New Year seems a decent idea, but come March I think there will be the usual level of interest.

Loved the design of the wooden dash in the 9000. I had a 99 Turbo for a short while.

I think the blue with ivory interior is the best and probably the most desired colour combination. A black interior is far easier to maintain and as much as I prefer the lighter interior if I did it all again, I would go for black leather. 

19 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Just the damp/mould in the boot would put me off 😳

Another car. 2009. MOT history. Youth is no guarantee of rust free underside. Did Lexus start to skimp in the last years of the run, like most manufacturers are prone to do?

Date tested
17 February 2022
PASS
Mileage
60,513 miles
Test location
View test location

MOT test number
7011 1201 0766
Expiry date
17 February 2023
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Like 1

We have seen many examples with different degrees of rust. It's always important to check the underside properly. Most cars at this age are going to have some surface rust unless they were protected early on. 

33 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Another car. 2009. MOT history. Youth is no guarantee of rust free underside. Did Lexus start to skimp in the last years of the run, like most manufacturers are prone to do?

Date tested
17 February 2022
PASS
Mileage
60,513 miles
Test location
View test location

MOT test number Expiry date
17 February 2023
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))

A new car could have lived it life at the coast, so would have more corrosion that one inland, or lived in Scotland were they have more months of salt on the roads .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

The Silver one didn't sell either. Typical auction though with a number of lots going unsold. Wouldn't overthink it. On a personal note though I loath what's been done to it. Not really sure why anyone would take that base car and do all that as I cannot see it as an investment that's going to pay back.

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

The Silver one didn't sell either. Typical auction though with a number of lots going unsold. Wouldn't overthink it. On a personal note though I loath what's been done to it. Not really sure why anyone would take that base car and do all that as I cannot see it as an investment that's going to pay back.

It’s everyone’s free choice to modify their cars, several things to take on board , you’ll never get your money back on what’s been done, and limit the market buyers when it comes to be sold.

From knowing a few SC430 owners that have modified their cars, the cost is unimportant as is the resale value, it’s about enjoy the car you have and getting it just how you want it 👍🏻

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bob King said:

It’s everyone’s free choice to modify their cars, several things to take on board , you’ll never get your money back on what’s been done, and limit the market buyers when it comes to be sold.

From knowing a few SC430 owners that have modified their cars, the cost is unimportant as is the resale value, it’s about enjoy the car you have and getting it just how you want it 👍🏻

I can certainly empathise with that last para. Gels with my attitude to my SC 430. However, this is a 2001 with approx 150k miles and an MOT advisory list that is sort of at odds with the works done to the car. On that note I think what I was saying was the price appears to me to be someone trying to do what I said wouldn't happen. That is, they are trying to get their investment back. Auction Est £6 to 8 k !!

They must think we all came down the River Ribble on a Raft yesterday.

21 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Agree, I could have picked a better word, and the same goes for "loath".

Mind you I did once tell my wife on an anniversary card no less that 'she was the best 'investment' I ever made' so it's safe to say I have blindspots at selecting words on occasion.

Marketplace – 2008 Lexus SC | Facebook

Interesting because of colour combo and year 2008. Not sure I have seen one of them before. Less interesting just the wrong side of good mileage for a car of this year and not sure the price really reflects that. In addition, the MOT history makes me think it's been owned with little spent for quite some time. Based in Dover for may be 10 years I would want to be very sure about what that undercarriage looked like. Leather looks a bit tired as well for the year ,but the mileage would explain that.

Still 2008, fairly rare?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links