Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Musty smell on my CT200 2012, on or after wet rainy day(s)

indika

I have noticed a strong musty smell coming from my cabin air circulation when the A/C or blower is running. This happens during wet days or a couple of days after wet days. However, during completely dry weather, this smell subsides. I have also observed that the smell on rainy days comes from the outside air mode, and on dry days, it comes from the recirculation air mode. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? Will the Aircon refresh work? Should I get the drain pipes cleaned? Can anyone recommend a garage or technician in the Berkshire or Surrey area?

I would completely agree with Ikea on the possible causes and would also add to check the scuttle panel plastic cover has drain holes usually around where the wiper spindles are located. If these get clogged the water tends to overflow into the nearby air intakes into the cabin filter housing.

Also be careful when replacing the cabin filter as the flap settings sometimes need to be set in a certain position to avoid damage to the mechanism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sofa table said:

Before anything else, I'd check cabin filter and the air intake area near the windshield for leaves etc.

Cabin filter was changed to see if it worked. But even with a brand new cabin air filter still the smell continues.  Just had a look at air intake and could not find any block or leaves either. 

Probably need an anti-bacterial treatment of the system - any competent garage or Lexus dealer can do it. There are treatments you can buy to do yourself too. Not sure if you leave the air con on all the time, but if you don't try leaving it on - generally stops bacteria growing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Probably need an anti-bacterial treatment of the system - any competent garage or Lexus dealer can do it. There are treatments you can buy to do yourself too. Not sure if you leave the air con on all the time, but if you don't try leaving it on - generally stops bacteria growing. 

I did use one from Eurocarparts, Did work only for couple of days, smell started afterwords. 

1 hour ago, indika said:

I did use one from Eurocarparts, Did work only for couple of days, smell started afterwords. 

Sounds like you might need it doing by a garage then that can get deeper into the evaporator and ducts etc. 

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Sounds like you might need it doing by a garage then that can get deeper into the evaporator and ducts etc. 

Any Recommended place around Berkshire or Surrey.

Just now, indika said:

Any Recommended place around Berkshire or Surrey.

I have all work done on my car by Lexus Reading but if you aren't using a Lexus dealer maybe wherever you get your car serviced at the moment? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links