Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone 

I did have an LS460 which I sold a few months ago and this was first taste of Lexus ownership…now nothing else will do, so I’m on the hunt for a new daily driver to replace my 3 door, 2007 Civic Type S.

Two GS models have caught my eye, the 300 (S160) or the 430 After research I’ve found most forums and YT analysts say the engines and other mechanicals in both of these variants are essentially bulletproof. However, no one will know better than you guys if this is true, so I just want to know if this is the case? 

My commute is a round trip of 25 miles mainly motorway with a bit of town driving. I’ll also be driving around my 7yr old daughter which I’m sure will probably mean the newer 2005 car, in terms of safety, might be a better option. 

Which should I go for? Thanks for the advice 

Daniel 

So in 300 you get 2JZ - I think enough said right there!

In 430 you get very good 3UZ engine, but it is not quite 2JZ levels...

Depending on what you want to do - 300 will be better for modification and everything already exist in aftermarket and it is still pretty much alive (although getting expensive nowadays), because of little legendary thing known as Supra.

If you just after reliable performance and wafting around then V8 430 is the way to go.

Now coming from LS460 - word of warning here, GS mk2 is not quite at the same level in terms of luxury, these older Lexus models are extremely well built and very reliable (arguably GS300 and LS400 are two most reliable car EVER made), but they don't have that upmarket luxury feel you would have had in LS460. If you ever been in LS400 mk1 or mk2 that is the feel - it feels "premium Japanese", but not luxury. Likewise both will be much less fuel efficient than relatively modern direct and port injected 1UR in your LS460, both will be much lazier on shifts in their old 5-speed slushomatics than your relatively fast 8-Speed gearbox was (same as IS-F), so you really coming down from very top car Lexus produced. That is not to say they are bad, but just managing expectations. 

On other hand if you go for mk3/S190 this will be more comparable to what you had in LS convenience vice and otherwise still modern feeling, driving and efficient cars. 

Hello everyone

Thanks for being so informative Linus that’s a big help. I totally agree, judging by what I’ve seen on the adverts, without having actually sat in one, I’ve already assumed it won’t have that ultra luxury feel but that’s fine. 

Colin; I’d consider a 430 from either generation the 160 or 190

GS430 all day long. Had both (S16) and the 430 is better in every way. There wasn’t a lot in it from a fuel consumption perspective, but performance was so much better. With the custom exhaust on the 430, the exhaust note was great too. Only thing I preferred on the 300 Sport over the 430 Sport, was the colour. The dark metallic blue was much more eye catching than silver. I also ran the Gen1 Sport wheels on both of the S16’s, they looked great on the Gen2 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everyone 

So latest development is I’m potentially going to be looking at an S190 GS430 next week.

Anyone any pointers for what I should be looking for? The car has had a cam belt change, water pump and gearbox service done already.

Thanks 

Dan 

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links