Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

knocking noise

nipperjam

Hi im new to the world of lexus having been a bmw and saab driver for years but thanks to londons mayor deciding i couldnt drive my car to work anymore i went a purchased a gs450h and wow what a car it is only 2 problems first being a knocking noise from under bonnet somewhere sounds like something loose been checked everything is tight knocks over small pot holes and speed humps 2nd problem is when i press start button sometimes steering wheel try to move but dont and i get a check vgrs message keep trying start button then after a few goes it will work its a 2009 model any help or advise would be appreciated

many thanks in advance  

"a knocking noise from under bonnet "

Some Lexus owners are just so reluctant to part with their favourite 'toy'. I think hiding under the bonnet when you have sold the car is a step too far.

"sometimes steering wheel"

Hmm, how many owners as this car had and did any pass on while they had it?  😏

• Haha 1

Hello Jason and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is. 

You've bought a superb car by the way. 

A knocking noise under the bonnet. That's a bit vague.

As for knocking noises whilst going over potholes that could be numerous things. Did you buy private or from a dealer? If dealer get them to sort that issue. 

As for steering wheel trying to move. How do you mean move? In and out or as in steering? If in and out then that could be standard. 

As for VCS you Really must get that looked into. Are you tech savvy? If so get a copy of Techstream. It's a diagnostic program which is the best one after what a Lexus dealer has. Perhaps bite the bullet and take the car to a Lexus dealer for a check up.

I recommend you look in the GS section of the forum. There you'll find fellow owners only too happy to help.

Hi thanks for replying I been on the bmw forums for years no one ever replies or helps I will try to be clearer when I turn on ignition foot on brake and press start instead of steering wheel moving to previous setting it stays put and I get the check vgrs on the dashboard turn off and on a few times car will then start and drive perfectly I have tech stream but haven’t found out how to use it don’t want to screw anything else up I have 2 cables obd to usb so they should connect fine I’m hoping so any advise on fixing vgrs or how to use tech stream would be appreciated plus the car was a private purchase so no dealer help 

Jason. Look on YouTube for tutorials how to use techstream. Which cable do you have to connect the OBD port to your laptop? Can you supply a photo of it?

I doubt if the noise is serious as cars just don't knock like they used to.

I had an old ford with a 3 bearing crank that knocked and whined ( bad main and big-end bearings ) that needed replacing every 12000 miles. Fords are still designed to fail after a pre-determined time, usually just after the warranty expires.

Here's a good one from youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links