Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2007 Lexus IS250 with dual exhausts on one side

PashaKO

Hello, everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a 2007 Lexus IS250, but upon reviewing the photos, I noticed a dual-tip exhaust on one side, rather than the usual one exhaust on each side (I've attached a photo of the listing). What could be the reason for this? Is it the result of an accident or just an aftermarket modification?
Additionally, I input the VIN number (JTHBK262005047425) into CarVertical, and it revealed no recorded damage or issues. However, it provided only a partial report, stating:
'We noticed that this report is not as informative as usual,
There can be two reasons for that:
• you've made a typo when entering the VIN - please double-check it;
• there isn't enough data available from the manufacturer and other information sources.'

The owner claims the car is a 2007 model, but based on the VIN, it appears to be from 2005, doesn't it?
For clarification, I haven't seen the car yet, and it's possible that the VIN number provided by the owner might be a typo.

Cheers!

IS250 Rear.jpg

IS250 Rear2.jpg

Hi Pash and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is. 

So you've used CarVertical and it stated it couldn't produce a full report.

Well as John stated above the rear bumper is Not from an is250 but from a diesel which indicates the car has been in a rear end shunt. Why else change a bumper.

The twin exhaust on that car could just have been owner custom. I've actually seen similar elsewhere. 

If you really want that car then contact the seller and ask to repeat the VIN number just incase of typo.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Pash and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is. 

So you've used CarVertical and it stated it couldn't produce a full report.

Well as John stated above the rear bumper is Not from an is250 but from a diesel which indicates the car has been in a rear end shunt. Why else change a bumper.

The twin exhaust on that car could just have been owner custom. I've actually seen similar elsewhere. 

If you really want that car then contact the seller and ask to repeat the VIN number just incase of typo.

I will contact him just to confirm, it’s a bit weird that this VIN showing some info tho. 

IMG_2887.png

3 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Definitely a petrol one, not a diesel?

At the very least, it appears to have a IS220d rear bumper (no exhaust cutouts).

That was my initial guess - IS220d badged as IS250 to look more "cool". Because exhaust tips are as well very black (although picture is not amazing quality so hard to say). But being automatic it can't be diesel, so it is definitely petrol (unless it is incorrectly marked as automatic).

Unless somebody really hated dual exhaust for some reason and gone trough the trouble of replacing both bumper and the exhaust to make it single dual tip exhaust... seems so unnecessary and minor. Besides it is usually other way around - diesel guys getting petrol bumper and making it dual exhaust for symmetry. 

Equally if the car was in rear shunt, the difference between getting IS250 bumper and IS220d bumper is negligible, in fact I think exactly the same cost. Unless maybe wrong bumper was ordered and then to accommodate that mistake the exhaust was changed as well... obviously just speculating here. 

This is weird one! I probably walk away at this point... unless price is somehow amazing, or there is something else extremely special about it to warranty the risk. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

That was my initial guess - IS220d badged as IS250 to look more "cool". Because exhaust tips are as well very black (although picture is not amazing quality so hard to say). But being automatic it can't be diesel, so it is definitely petrol (unless it is incorrectly marked as automatic).

Unless somebody really hated dual exhaust for some reason and gone trough the trouble of replacing both bumper and the exhaust to make it single dual tip exhaust... seems so unnecessary and minor. Besides it is usually other way around - diesel guys getting petrol bumper and making it dual exhaust for symmetry. 

Equally if the car was in rear shunt, the difference between getting IS250 bumper and IS220d bumper is negligible, in fact I think exactly the same cost. Unless maybe wrong bumper was ordered and then to accommodate that mistake the exhaust was changed as well... obviously just speculating here. 

This is weird one! I probably walk away at this point... unless price is somehow amazing, or there is something else extremely special about it to warranty the risk. 

Thank you so much for your help!
The price is indeed really attractive at £3600 at 86000 miles, and it is an automatic. The low price could be explained by it being a right-hand drive car in Bulgaria, which is more expensive to insure and obviously to drive.

However, it works perfectly for me because I’m currently in Bulgaria and planning to drive it and register it in the UK in January. Unfortunately, there are no other IS250 right-hand drive cars in Bulgaria. I’ll take it for a checkup before purchasing it, and we will see. Thanks again, mate!

3 hours ago, PashaKO said:

Thank you so much for your help!
The price is indeed really attractive at £3600 at 86000 miles, and it is an automatic. The low price could be explained by it being a right-hand drive car in Bulgaria, which is more expensive to insure and obviously to drive.

However, it works perfectly for me because I’m currently in Bulgaria and planning to drive it and register it in the UK in January. Unfortunately, there are no other IS250 right-hand drive cars in Bulgaria. I’ll take it for a checkup before purchasing it, and we will see. Thanks again, mate!

I would not advise it - first of all, because car is already registered in Bulgaria you would likely have to pay duties on importing and registering it in UK. If that is originally UK car it may or may not be cheaper to reimport, but expect 10-20% tax on it. So if you planning to come to UK, then why not to buy the car in UK once you arrive? Besides prices in UK will be betted, 86,000 miles car for £3,600 is not horrible, but it is not great either. I guess depends on overall condition, but I am quite confident you can get better car in UK for that money and without weirdness going on at the rear. 

Secondly, I have almost no doubt you won't be able to insure it in UK. Not sure how old are you and what license you have (none of my business), but insurance in UK will be exceptionally expensive compared to Bulgaria. You much better of driving it for up-to 6 months in UK on Bulgarian insurance. So the only reason to buy car registered in Bulgaria would be to keep Bulgarian insurance at least for some time, because it would be significantly cheaper (with caveats).

Just as example - when I was 24 and I already had license for 8 years I paid £2400 for my first insurance in UK on IS250 and that was like 10 years ago. So I would not be surprised if your insurance in UK could be £10,000 or more. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I would not advise it - first of all, because car is already registered in Bulgaria you would likely have to pay duties on importing and registering it in UK. If that is originally UK car it may or may not be cheaper to reimport, but expect 10-20% tax on it. So if you planning to come to UK, then why not to buy the car in UK once you arrive? Besides prices in UK will be betted, 86,000 miles car for £3,600 is not horrible, but it is not great either. I guess depends on overall condition, but I am quite confident you can get better car in UK for that money and without weirdness going on at the rear. 

Secondly, I have almost no doubt you won't be able to insure it in UK. Not sure how old are you and what license you have (none of my business), but insurance in UK will be exceptionally expensive compared to Bulgaria. You much better of driving it for up-to 6 months in UK on Bulgarian insurance. So the only reason to buy car registered in Bulgaria would be to keep Bulgarian insurance at least for some time, because it would be significantly cheaper (with caveats).

Just as example - when I was 24 and I already had license for 8 years I paid £2400 for my first insurance in UK on IS250 and that was like 10 years ago. So I would not be surprised if your insurance in UK could be £10,000 or more. 

Wow!
Thank you, mate. You've actually made some points that make a lot of sense.
I'll look for an IS250 in the UK, which indeed will be less of a headache. I guess Auto Trader, right?
And again, I appreciate your help!

Yes autotrader is main site in UK. 

No problem, just something I experienced myself - I was excited to move to UK, because cars were cheap - then my dreams were shattered when the first insurance quote I got was £36,000 😄 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Yes autotrader is main site in UK. 

No problem, just something I experienced myself - I was excited to move to UK, because cars were cheap - then my dreams were shattered when the first insurance quote I got was £36,000 😄 

This is madness!

I wanted to take a car trip across Europe and finish in the UK, but, man, those prices aren't worth it.
I'll better postpone it for another time, thanks again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links