Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reminiscing

cdmaskell

Just done a trip to Exmoor (Lynmouth area) stayed in Stag Hunters in Brendon, highly recommended. Wife and friend in the rear seats which they found more than comfortable. The ES belted up Porlock and Lynton hill with ease. Very different to 50 years ago when we had a 1.2 MK 1 Cortina. Reminiscing, I did miss the Manta GTE Coupe, that loved the Exmoor roads, not so the ES!  Still times change, average 48 mpg on a 460 mile trip. Don’t ask about the state of inside and out of the ES! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cdmaskell said:

Just done a trip to Exmoor (Lynmouth area) stayed in Stag Hunters in Brendon, highly recommended. Wife and friend in the rear seats which they found more than comfortable. The ES belted up Porlock and Lynton hill with ease. Very different to 50 years ago when we had a 1.2 MK 1 Cortina. Reminiscing, I did miss the Manta GTE Coupe, that loved the Exmoor roads, not so the ES!  Still times change, average 48 mpg on a 460 mile trip. Don’t ask about the state of inside and out of the ES! 

Back in the late 50s my father had a Ford Prefect. Myself, brother, mum & dad headed south for a holiday. Dad was a member of the AA (not the drinkers club). At the bottom of Porlock Hill there was a AA hut, when the AA man spotted the badge on the front of our car he saluted and waved our car down, he then suggested we go up the worst part of the hill in reverse as that was our strongest gear. Sorry nothing to do with Lexus.

• Like 2

I remember heading down to Paignton Cornwall in the early 70's in my girl friend's tiny NSU and having to get out as she couldn't get up some hills with the two of us and our luggage.  

• Like 3

Came down it in a Rover  P6 V8 automatic years ago. The brakes got red hot and failed. It was a scary experience trying to stop.

There was no engine braking at those low speeds in the autos at the time.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links