Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS200 Manual Swap

Lendiddy

So, this topic has been brought up a few times on this forum, but its intricacies seem to be rarely discussed. I'm doing my preliminary research into a manual swap on my 05 IS200, and I'm putting together a parts list to try and pull this off, because manual IS200s are getting ridiculously expensive out here in Oz, but I would be delighted to get it done. Here's what I think I'll need:

• Manual Trans
  • Manual Shifter
  • Clutch (Single Mass Flywheel)
  • Trans Mounting
  • Tail Shaft
  • Clutch Line
  • Clutch Slave 
  • Master Cylinder
  • ECU
  • Manual Wiring Loom
  • Manual Pedal Box
  • Shifter Surround
  • Manual Cluster

What am I missing?? Of course the associated spigot bearings etc I'll need to get. Am I crazy, or is this achievable? I don't know how to do the labour, I know I would mess it up, so I'd accumulate all the parts and head to a good mechanic. Basically, is this stupid?

1 hour ago, Lendiddy said:

What am I missing??

The diff has different gearing between the auto and manual models.

1 hour ago, Lendiddy said:

Am I crazy, or is this achievable?

This isn't one or the other. It is achievable but IMO you would be crazy to go through all the time and expense in doing this for what is essentially a 20 year old car in the UK - I don't know if the values in Oz make it worth while.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2023 at 9:03 PM, ColinBarber said:

The diff has different gearing between the auto and manual models.

This isn't one or the other. It is achievable but IMO you would be crazy to go through all the time and expense in doing this for what is essentially a 20 year old car in the UK - I don't know if the values in Oz make it worth while.

Oh of course, I never though of that.

I mean, I just really miss having a manual, and honestly this could be construed as hardcore rationalising, but it could be an investment of sorts. Manual IS200s are harder and harder to come by, and getting more expensive. I think the conversion would create value, but it all depends on what the final costs end up at

On 11/18/2023 at 10:43 PM, Tickedon said:

Would it not be cheaper and easier to try and import one from elsewhere if you really must have a manual? 

On the low end it seems as though manual Aletzza's from NZ cost about $8k, + shipping which is aroind $2500-$3000, and total costs really start to add up. Certainly not cheaper, at least in my estimation.

Would the ECU really need to be changed? Surely there's some tech boffins out there that could blank off the gearbox connections and trick the car's ECU in to thinking it the auto box is functioning as it should be.  

This is way out of my depth of understanding so really just a question as to if the whole ECU would need changing as all you want is the engine to run as normal and the gearbox to be changed which "could" be all mechanical rather than computer software controlled.

18 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

Would the ECU really need to be changed? Surely there's some tech boffins out there that could blank off the gearbox connections and trick the car's ECU in to thinking it the auto box is functioning as it should be.  

Certainly easier to go from auto to manual and keep the same ECU. As you say you need to fool it into thinking the auto box is still there and functioning correctly.

All depends where you are getting the other parts from - if the donor car also has an ECU as well you might use it for ease.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links