Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold weather startup

Newbie777

Hello,

My 2010 Lexus Ls600hl starts first time, but upon startup I notice that it is a bit noisy, the revs are about 1.5k and it vibrates little bit.

After a minute or so all is well and it is quiet all day and night, is this normal? Is it due to the cold weather, 0 to 2 degrees?

No errors, no smoke and drives fine.

Not sure if it timing chain rattle, mounts etc

Thanks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

but your other posts about the oil grade might be pertinent !  a more robust denser formula might be appropriate at 220k miles now

Malc

Thanks Malc,

If am on 5w30 going to 0w20 would mke it worse?

4 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Thanks Malc,

If am on 5w30 going to 0w20 would mke it worse?

I don't know but you should possibly think about using semi-synthetic now at the engine age and wear ......  someone with greater depth of knowledge and understanding will pop up soon I'm sure

Malc

• Like 1

Nah, Full Synthetic is a better oil than semi or dino oil. Semi-synth is fine for older engines (and cheaper) but pretty much anything made after 2005 should be running full synth.
If you have 5W30 full synth that should be good for your engine.
It may be worth using a flushing oil at the next oil change, but that may also cause other issues as it can "cause" oil leaks by dissolving varnish deposits that were sealing gaps.
Chances are the VVT system needs a clean out as they are oil operated and may not be moving to the cold start position due to crud.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Nah, Full Synthetic is a better oil than semi or dino oil. Semi-synth is fine for older engines (and cheaper) but pretty much anything made after 2005 should be running full synth.
If you have 5W30 full synth that should be good for your engine.
It may be worth using a flushing oil at the next oil change, but that may also cause other issues as it can "cause" oil leaks by dissolving varnish deposits that were sealing gaps.
Chances are the VVT system needs a clean out as they are oil operated and may not be moving to the cold start position due to crud.

Thank you BigBoomer,

How do I clean out the CVT system?

I recently had  a de-carbon done.

24 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

Thank you BigBoomer,

How do I clean out the CVT system?

I recently had  a de-carbon done.

Has this noise you are hearing ONLY started from the de.carbon procedure..If It Has.. There could be the Reason.. Just a Thought..!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Has this noise you are hearing ONLY started from the de.carbon procedure..If It Has.. There could be the Reason.. Just a Thought..!!!

No, I don't think so, just started the car this morning and it 7 degrees and it  sounds great with no vibration or anything.

Thinking if it weather related could it be the oil?

10 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

What does a decarbon involve? I've never heard of it except for cleaning the heads on 2 stroke engines.

Carbon deposits build up within all combustion engines and over time the build up dramatically reduces the efficiency of your engine operation. This results in increased exhaust emissions, reduced fuel economy and reduced performance.

Carbon Cleaning is a safe, quick, and efficient process that is applied through the vehicles air intake. A small amount of hydrogen is used by our advanced de-carbonisation equipment. The process results in the inlet system, cylinder head and exhaust manifold being cleaned without any damage of interference to the vehicle. This can be completed in as little as 30 minutes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Newbie777 said:

Carbon deposits build up within all combustion engines and over time the build up dramatically reduces the efficiency of your engine operation. This results in increased exhaust emissions, reduced fuel economy and reduced performance.

Carbon Cleaning is a safe, quick, and efficient process that is applied through the vehicles air intake. A small amount of hydrogen is used by our advanced de-carbonisation equipment. The process results in the inlet system, cylinder head and exhaust manifold being cleaned without any damage of interference to the vehicle. This can be completed in as little as 30 minutes.

Never thought about how carbon can Build up and affect vehicle performance....!!!

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Never thought about how carbon can Build up and affect vehicle performance....!!!

The car definitely runs quieter and  smoother- or maybe it's just me??

It's not expensive to do and takes about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Colder weather this morning and started up with no noise or vibration.

This may sound stupid, but I replaced both air filters (did this myself) and took off the plastic engine cover, a day after the vibration/rattle noise, I noticed cover was not on right, I wonder if this was the issue, will wait for the cold weather and see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, Newbie777 said:

Colder weather this morning and started up with no noise or vibration.

This may sound stupid, but I replaced both air filters (did this myself) and took off the plastic engine cover, a day after the vibration/rattle noise, I noticed cover was not on right, I wonder if this was the issue, will wait for the cold weather and see.

Tried everyday and as it has  not been cold, no rattle or vibration at all, could be the damn cover, not wishing for the cold weather, but will see if it happens again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 6:47 PM, Newbie777 said:

Tried everyday and as it has  not been cold, no rattle or vibration at all, could be the damn cover, not wishing for the cold weather, but will see if it happens again.

2 degrees this morning and car windows frosted, started fine, conclusion, make sure you fit cover on properly.lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links