Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2010RX450H - Damper Plate and CVT Gear Box fail

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 RX450H SE-L with 140K miles, and I recently received a repair estimate from Lexus totaling £7,375 for issues with the failed CVT gearbox and damper plate. The problem initially presented itself as a vibration and judder. The diagnosis by the master technician at Lexus took 12 hours, which seems quite extensive. Unfortunately, I can't write it off through insurance. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or insights you may have on this matter.

When you say it initially presented itself as a vibration, I assume it has now had a compete failure?

If it was just the damper plate then that should only be a few hundred pounds to replace. But if that failed and damaged other components then I guess it could need a new transmission, in which case you are best to look for a second hand unit from a breakers - it certainly wouldn't make financial sense to purchase new Lexus parts or for a Lexus dealer to charge you £200 per hour to fix it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

When you say it initially presented itself as a vibration, I assume it has now had a compete failure?

If it was just the damper plate then that should only be a few hundred pounds to replace. But if that failed and damaged other components then I guess it could need a new transmission, in which case you are best to look for a second hand unit from a breakers - it certainly wouldn't make financial sense to purchase new Lexus parts or for a Lexus dealer to charge you £200 per hour to fix it.

The problem is, I cannot find another place to replace the gearbox. Not one I called wants to deal with a hybrid and Lexus. Found the gearbox, new or used, but no mechanic. 

They reported that the oil in the gearbox appeared black, signaling a potential mechanical problem, and this absence of warning lights further perplexed them. Initially, they were uncertain about the issue and had to consult Lexus Direct and Toyota for insights. Surprisingly, when I described the symptoms, they seemed skeptical and were unconvinced. Despite the master technician boasting 25 years of experience, I managed to uncover more information through just ten minutes of online research.

1 hour ago, RomeoMC said:

Despite the master technician boasting 25 years of experience, I managed to uncover more information through just ten minutes of online research.

Transmission issues are very rare, it is possible that despite being a master technician, he/she has never seen this issue before.

Have you tried contacting Toyotatec or Toyotec - both in Surrey so not a million miles away from yourself (not sure if Toyotatec would take on such a large job).

• Like 1

Agreed. They only deal with small items and services and I understood that. Since this seems a very rare issue and had no warning, I asked them to contact Lexus to see if they could assist with a new gearbox. 

44 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Transmission issues are very rare, it is possible that despite being a master technician, he/she has never seen this issue before.

Have you tried contacting Toyotatec or Toyotec - both in Surrey so not a million miles away from yourself (not sure if Toyotatec would take on such a large job).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links