Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattling around in my IS200 OSR Brakes

Hi All, Does anyone know what this could be in the pictures that was rattling around in rear brake disc?

I was driving down the road the other day in my 2002 IS200 travelling about 30mph and suddenly there was a crunch sound folllowed by some scraping. I pulled over straight away as was worried it was a prop/drive shaft issue and checked car over and couldnt see or hear any issues. I returned home about 2 miles and didt hear any issue until about 100 metres from home when i went over a bump and rattling and scraping sound started again.

I then recall some years ago having a bent and loose brake shoe spring so thought it may be that again so i took off the rear disc where the issue was previous and this part fell out. On inspection of the discs shoes and caliper setup i cant see where this part would of come from and wondering does it actually belong to my car or was i unlucky and picked so road debris?

Any thoughts? Thanks

IMG_20240102_171654421.jpg

IMG_20240102_171712098.jpg

IMG_20240102_171719132.jpg

• Sad 1

Are there 2 holes in the piece, I can see one hole  and if there are 2 it could be twisted out of shape yoke whereby a clevis pin could hold a cable  with a single hole flange end thereby joining both pieces together.     Just a guess really.  

1 hour ago, ianm2012 said:

so i took off the rear disc where the issue was previous and this part fell out

So was it inside the brake drum or trapped against the brake shield?

This looks like the clip that's attached to brake pads and acts as a wear indicator. When the brake pads wear down if they are not replaced in time, this metal clip contacts the brake disc and makes an unpleasant squeak. 

The photo of the part has been deformed so apologies if it's not the part I mentioned above. 

Thanks All for your replies, i will rspond in one:

Thanks Steve, Cable clip seems logical by the potential original shape, i will lie under car and look at the other side to compare and check out the clips. It looks like a hole but is actuallly an indent and there is one on each end

Thanks Andrew, When i took off the rear disc it fell out so was trapped between the handbrake mechanism and the inside of the disc

Thanks Hugh, i will look into this and maybe take of the NSR rear this weekend and compare

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links