Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Total Electrical Failure, I Wonder Why

2 hours ago, ambermarine said:

There is abundant evidence in this doc that long life in batteries is achieved by proper maintanence and servicing. Without doubt most of the premature failures are due to the fact that modern vehicles have batteries fitted that most owners would not know were they where located let alone know how to insert distilled water.

When I was in the Army as a driver Royal signals  in the 60s part of the "first parade" (vehicle check) before going anywhere was to check the battery level and we also carried hydrometers in the service kits.

So much initative is taken away from the individual in todays easy society that we have become zombi like and materialsticly wasteful which is why the IOP as to produce documents like this.

Most modern batteries are sealed/AGM so there is never any need to check them or top them up.
However, what is needed is to think about what you are doing. Flattening a Battery is pretty easy.

I flattened my LS430 Battery a couple of years ago. I was at the Eurotunnel terminal waiting for my severely delayed train (waited 5 hours) so was sat in the car with the windows open and the radio on for 5 hours. When they finally called my train, I went to start the car and it struggled and would not start. Luckily this is a common issue at the terminal so they had a guy come over with a jump pack and she started fine. I kept the engine running until I was actually on the train (about 30 mins) and then left the ignition off for the trip across to Calais. It started fine in Calais and I had no further problems that trip. When home I ordered a Jump Pack which I then charged, and tested the procedure so I would know what to do if/when it happens again. It is in my spare wheel well and gets topped up every 6 months.
The radio, even at low volume draws 10W which is just under 1Amp. In theory a 68Ah Battery should last 68 hours at that level, but I was also adjusting the windows and charging my phone, and chances are the car was doing stuff in the background too. It all adds up and in my case after 5 hours the Battery didn't have enough oomph left to start the engine.

• Like 2

Not that we have much choice when it comes to selecting Battery size/capacity for cars but, if you do wish to calculate need/usage, then it should be done at 50% of the battery's capacity. In other words,  a 68Ah Battery will give you 34Ah effective usage before you start causing excessive wear on the Battery.

• Like 1

CTek to the rescue as usual.  My Battery was so in need of a long controlled trickle charge after I connected it that only 2 of the 6 orange   LED's were lit up.   The 7th LED  is a green light and lets you know the Battery is fully charged.   It took about 4 hours to get the green light to light up.    My last check is to check the standing voltage of the  Battery so I will buy a simple volt reader.  If it shows 12.6 volts for a standing Battery and around 14.2 when the car is running without major accessories running I will be happy to stick with my existing Battery but will definitely top it up once a week with the CTek.    If any damage was done when it dropped down to 3.1 volts when it was unable to re boot the electrics and start the car I may have to replace it or rather demand the dealer where I bought it 6 weeks ago replace it.   Batteries fall outside the 12 month used car warranty and the 10 year Relax scheme but to be faced with Battery problems which I never encountered with my previous 5 Hybrids makes me believe the dealer has some responsibility to me.        

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

now it says don't drink the battery fluid! 🤣

Drat!  Too late!  🥵

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links