Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ghost 2 installer recommendation

Hi all

Looking to get a Ghost 2 fitted to our NX300h. Can anyone recommend a good reliable installer for the East Midlands?

Thanks

Jim

Hybrids and EVs are a tricky one for immobilisers but I’d expect a ghost should work ok. Advertising the fact it’s fitted may prevent your bumper getting destroyed.

The correct solution is Lexus doing what JLR are doing with software upgrades to remove the vulnerabilities, but don’t hold your breath as they don’t seem to care.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 8:34 AM, szhrmp said:

I got it installed by these people: https://ghostinstallations.co.uk/  - no issues with the device.

I also got them to fit a scorpion tracker which did not work at all, and I think is not compatible with the hyprid lexus.

Company Car Insurance stipulated we had to have a Scorpion Tracker installed which they did and not had any problems.  Don't know if there are different models though.

my scorpion tracker in my 350 hybrid gave me errors like "vehicle movement while Battery disconnect", "movement while engine off". and every time this happens, you get an automated call.

also, sometimes recorded journey - sometimes not (so the device was working fine for some routes, and then stopped). the installer came out 3 times to sort it ("can't connect to gps - device not pointing correctly", out or to "re-solder it" (apparently it is soldered in) - never made a difference. also scorpion couldn't find an issue with the device.

when I requested a refund, I first had to chase the installer for a refund, and then scorpion track - which didn't want to refund the subscription cost (or just partial refund, because I already "had used the device for couple of months").

I just recommend: if you go down the scorpion route - don't do a life time subscription or like me a 3 year subscription.

So, just spoken to our nearest installer TTW installations Nottingham, and they said they would not fit a Ghost 2 to a 300h, citing unresolved compatibility issues. When pressed about what the issue was, they said 12v Battery drain, and that until resolved they would not be prepared to fit one.

Anyone else had a similar response, or found their Ghost 2 causes Battery drain or any other hybrid issues?

Thanks

On 1/16/2024 at 5:04 PM, Jim1977 said:

So, just spoken to our nearest installer TTW installations Nottingham, and they said they would not fit a Ghost 2 to a 300h, citing unresolved compatibility issues. When pressed about what the issue was, they said 12v battery drain, and that until resolved they would not be prepared to fit one.

Anyone else had a similar response, or found their Ghost 2 causes battery drain or any other hybrid issues?

Thanks

I am having a Ghost 2 fitted next week by an approved Autowatch installer. I asked if there was any Battery drain issues and after checking all the info from Autowatch the installer said that there was no problem. I hope he told me the truth!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beyond the blue said:

I am having a Ghost 2 fitted next week by an approved Autowatch installer. I asked if there was any battery drain issues and after checking all the info from Autowatch the installer said that there was no problem. I hope he told me the truth!

Thank you - could I ask who you are using please?

44 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

I did this twice and never got a reply.

Same, I have emailed them twice with no reply, and tried to ring them but no-one answers.

1 hour ago, Jim1977 said:

Same, I have emailed them twice with no reply, and tried to ring them but no-one answers.

I rang them in December, they were very helpful and emailed me a couple of local installers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim1977 said:

I’ve just rung again and got through, they were helpful and quickly sent across a couple of installer names.

4 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I am having a Ghost 2 fitted next week by an approved Autowatch installer. I asked if there was any battery drain issues and after checking all the info from Autowatch the installer said that there was no problem. I hope he told me the truth!

Neil.... I Would Strongly Suggest That The person to Phone with an Accurate and UNBIASED opinion Would be One of the TOP Mechanics at your lexus Dealership.. He would probably be the Best Person To Speak to before going ahead with this Purchase and Installation...Its NO GOOD after the Installation Then finding out that indeed  it does drain the Battery..Frankly I Did Imagine it Would drain the Battery But I Could be Wrong..My Advice is... Do The Homework..!!!!!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

Neil.... I Would Strongly Suggest That The person to Phone with an Accurate and UNBIASED opinion Would be One of the TOP Mechanics at your lexus Dealership.. He would probably be the Best Person To Speak to before going ahead with this Purchase and Installation...Its NO GOOD after the Installation Then finding out that indeed  it does drain the Battery..Frankly I Did Imagine it Would drain the Battery But I Could be Wrong..My Advice is... Do The Homework..!!!!!!!

No, I disagree. The best person to speak to at your dealership would be whichever salesman is stood next to a potential customer and a Lexus. Loudly. Very loudly.
Failing that, the Lexus social media team may be able to answer your very public enquiries.

1 hour ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

I have known the service manager at my dealership for many many years both personally and professionally. The last time l was in l told him l was thinking of having the ghost fitted, although l didn't ask him specifically about Battery drain he told me he could put me on to someone who fits them and he has sent many Lexus customers to him and they are happy with the installs. He likes the ghost system himself.

• Like 4

Well I’m booked in for next week too now.

Ghost HQ gave me two local fitters and having checked them out made a decision to go ahead.

I did discuss Ghost with the Lexus parts manager and he had no issue with Ghost and did not advise against it. The only issue he mentioned was an issue they had once when they had to do extended tests in a car for a customer that refused to give the code and set it to valet mode. They went over 30mph for a period of time and it triggered the Ghost. That issue could have been resolved if the owner had simply changed the main code while they had the car, rather than use valet mode. Then set the code back to their normal one afterwards.

He did say they fitted 3rd party immobilisers and trackers themselves for customers, in fact the car behind us in the workshop was having just that done. But the one they offered had a subscription and I didnt want to do go down that route. 

I did raise the point about Battery drain with the installer, and was told it is a passive device if fitted correctly, and is dormant until someone tries to start the car. He had recently done an RX350h and when we discussed Canbus attack he brought up the RAV4 (which of course we know shares the same Canbus set up).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I did this twice and never got a reply.

Sorry to hear that, they got back to me quite quickly.

Do we think Ghost 2 will fully lock down the Canbus system, thus preventing access into the car at all, or that it just works on the part that allows the car to start or be driven?

23 minutes ago, Jim1977 said:

Do we think Ghost 2 will fully lock down the Canbus system, thus preventing access into the car at all, or that it just works on the part that allows the car to start or be driven?

No, the Ghost works in two different ways depending on the car model it’s fitted to - in some cars it stops you starting the car, in others it stops the car going into drive (which is how it works on the Lexus NX current gen). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tickedon said:

No, the Ghost works in two different ways depending on the car model it’s fitted to - in some cars it stops you starting the car, in others it stops the car going into drive (which is how it works on the Lexus NX current gen). 

Thank you for this info. Does that mean that when they try and shift into reverse or drive the engine just shuts down or they just can’t engage drive? We have the gen 1 NX so it may have been implemented differently for that car. Presumably the installer will be happy to explain this on install.

1 hour ago, Jim1977 said:

Thank you for this info. Does that mean that when they try and shift into reverse or drive the engine just shuts down or they just can’t engage drive? We have the gen 1 NX so it may have been implemented differently for that car. Presumably the installer will be happy to explain this on install.

Yes, it works differently on every car. This video shows you for the nx300h: 

https://youtu.be/LWf8CwApCiI?si=GEuL_odMEWmNsER1

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links