Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus 450h Tacuma Stolen - Surrey- 2024 Warning

4 hours ago, peniole said:

There's also one report on here that the plates were circumvented.

Also one post that stated there was a newer improved version, but I don't believe this has been verified.

On 1/11/2024 at 6:32 PM, luckyduck said:

I am still waiting to get my canbus fitted - in the meantime I am using a good old Halfords sourced crook lock on the steering wheel - clearly visible and an extra deterrent - on top of this the car is always double locked - if they can still get away wiht my pride and joy, then I know I have done all I can.

Have a look at the Rewire security DB2 Robb..For the money its an additional bit of security as the lexus app does not properly track your car....Cheers !!!

On 4/30/2024 at 7:57 AM, larryadler said:

Dan, mine were fitted months ago, but, apart from tracker( which is pretty pointless these days) none of the security devices are Thatcham approved, and make no difference whatsoever to your insurance premium!

Yeah, as the canbus tin plates are just, errr, tin plates they won’t be Thatcham approved and therefore no insurer will take them into account - this is the same as the Ghost type immobilisers - they’re not categorised under the Thatcham system.
Unless EVERY single at-risk Lexus is protected AND theft rates go down AND insurers and the press and the public realise ANY Lexus is at no more risk than another manufacturers car we’re ALL stuck with insurers pricing in the high likelihood of theft, together with the resultant knock on effect on resale values.

The only way that’ll happen is via Lexus’s ‘imminent’ solution (stop laughing at the back) protecting every affected car in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, larryadler said:

So we are all destined for a Dacia Andy 😂🤣😂🤣

No, we’re destined for a class action court case unless Lexus pull their fingers out of their Sanderos.

• Haha 1

No room on the streets of London Dan, they’re booked in advance with Israel and Palestine demo’s 🥴

• Haha 2

I have just e:mailed Lexus asking if the promised security fixes are indeed imminent and if they will make far more difficult for an RX4 to be stolen.  I'm not holding my breath.

On 4/30/2024 at 12:51 PM, Spock66 said:

Also one post that stated there was a newer improved version, but I don't believe this has been verified.

I know personally where the plates have deterred 2 thefts but if someone is that determined, have the time, the tools and are willing to attempt to take it they will try.

Plates are quite literally, a sticking plaster.  No issue for a determined thief.  They'll work it out soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I’m picking up my RX450 next week, registered Dec 21. Do you know if the canbus plate would have been fitted before sale? I haven’t checked with the dealer (not a Lexus main dealer) if the security update was done. Would my local main dealer be able to tell me do you know?

Your nearest Lexus dealer should be able to confirm but it depends on which Franchise fitted them.  I picked up my 2021 RX Friday and plates had already been fitted.

On 5/12/2024 at 11:45 AM, GSLV6 said:

Plates are quite literally, a sticking plaster.  No issue for a determined thief.  They'll work it out soon enough.

It doesn't need them to work it out, it just needs to be enough of a pain in the arse that they decide its too risky faffing about for the £100 they get for the parts

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

It doesn't need them to work it out, it just needs to be enough of a pain in the arse that they decide its too risky faffing about for the £100 they get for the parts

Not so.  Some will want the car for selling on, others will want to strip as much as possible.  if they were doing it for £100 for parts, it'd hardly be 1) worth the risk of getting caught or 2) investing £5K in the software/hardware they need to steal the cars.  Thefts have gone down since the plates were rolled out but are still reportedly happening to some of those who had them fitted.  It certainly reduces the risks but owners are still £4 to £6K out of pocket for damage caused by attempted thefts.  Until the sotfware is rolled out to FIX the vulnerability, they'll continue to target these cars.  

I had an email conversation with Lexus Croydon and it takes about 3 weeks for them to order the plates. I will be getting mine fitted when I get the annual service. Still sucks about the insurance as rates are now 2.5x of what we pay now and our current insurance provider LV won't insure the RX. 

Hopefully, the rumoured software fix is available sometime this year! 🤞

Lets hope so.  Rumour now is that their fix may be an offer of an immobiliser developed with Lexus and being offered via Lexus insurance presently (only).  That being the case, they're be a queue of RX4 customers with pitchforks and lighted torches picketing Lexus dealerships demanding that ALL RX4 customers get this FOC and not, as currently it appears, just if they insure with Lexus.  I'd be appalled if that were the case.

My understanding is they strip the parts and because they are not getting a lot for them just a £100 maybe £200, they collect them in cages and sell them by the cage full. These are organised gangs that send different teams to different areas and do a lot in one go.  If they go after cars that are in areas that are risky places for them and they then have the added time of messing about to bypass the plates, they are not going to risk getting caught and will move on.

Yes, just LHS.  Not sure whether they need access via bumper trim as some talk of them now punching a hole in the inner wig to reach the wires but depends where the connector is, if behind the nearside front LED it would make sense to park the nearside of the car next to a wall  (as they would need to access via front corner of bumper)  or next to another car on your driveway.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 2:46 PM, GSLV6 said:

Lets hope so.  Rumour now is that their fix may be an offer of an immobiliser developed with Lexus and being offered via Lexus insurance presently (only).  That being the case, they're be a queue of RX4 customers with pitchforks and lighted torches picketing Lexus dealerships demanding that ALL RX4 customers get this FOC and not, as currently it appears, just if they insure with Lexus.  I'd be appalled if that were the case.

You’ll be behind me in the queue - as an LC owner who’s already bought an immobiliser because Lexus are useless - I can guarantee it. Trust me, I’ll be carrying more than a pitchfork!
Any stipulation for Lexus’s own insurance being needed to qualify for an Immobiliser would be incredibly shortsighted of them.
Mentioned above too - the RX is the only car with an actual solution so far and it takes 3 weeks to order the plates in? Eh?!
Every dealer should be carrying stock, every dealer should be fitting plates to every eligible car that passes through their doors, and every dealer should be running their databases and contacting every owner of an RX to get their cars in for fitment.

Meh. Did they say which April exactly?

Plates aren't the solution really Andy, they're an afterthought and some dealers are still charging a nominal amount to fit them, talk about rubbing salt into the wounds! The long awaited announcement still isn't here and I'm not holding my breath as they've had enough time to make up another story or to invent some other equally unsatisfactory "fix".  The longer this goes on,. the less faith I have in Lexus and their dealerships, some of whom remain silent about the issue whilst selling cars to people with no clue about the issues until they come to insure.  If it wasn't for the fact that I actually like the model I bought and chanced it on the promise of a fix, I'd have turned my back on Lexus/Toyota. It's the last one I'll ever buy from them.  Plenty feel the same way.  They're counting on new customers being the younger crowd, with perhaps a slightly more numerous demographic for the LBX and EV models, so really what they're saying to us in the traditional Lexus camp, is "we don't need your custom anyway now...goodbye, thankyou for all you've spent with us, and please close the door on your way out".  That's the distinct feeling most of us who've been with them a long time feel.

One update is you may find your car now appears to have an outstanding recall, I have the RX with plates already fitted so must be for something else.

We have identified that your Lexus is subject to a voluntary customer service campaign or outstanding safety recall.

This can be rectified at no cost.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/about-my-lexus/vehicle-recall

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links