Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h 3rd gen loose armrest

24 minutes ago, jackdublin said:

Any ideas how to fix loose armrest on IS300h 2015? Rattle from the armrest rest when light pressure is applied. 

Have a look where it latches at the front - it sits slightly raised when closed (if you apply a bit of pressure it moves down and springs back up again by like a 1mm) and the plastic around the latch can then rattle plastic on plastic if slight pressure is applied (which would stop with more pressure) - on mine there is some of the anti-rattle tape (you can buy it in the usual online places) at the points that touch when pressure is applied. If yours is missing this then apply some. Anti-rattle tape is always useful to keep in anyway as where plastic meets plastic there is always a chance of rattles/squeaks, though generally Lexus are good at eliminating those. 

14 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Have a look where it latches at the front - it sits slightly raised when closed (if you apply a bit of pressure it moves down and springs back up again by like a 1mm) and the plastic around the latch can then rattle plastic on plastic if slight pressure is applied (which would stop with more pressure) - on mine there is some of the anti-rattle tape (you can buy it in the usual online places) at the points that touch when pressure is applied. If yours is missing this then apply some. Anti-rattle tape is always useful to keep in anyway as where plastic meets plastic there is always a chance of rattles/squeaks, though generally Lexus are good at eliminating those. 

Thanks for the suggestion! Never thought about it. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:26 AM, jackdublin said:

Any ideas how to fix loose armrest on IS300h 2015? Rattle from the armrest rest when light pressure is applied. 

I put 2 bits of plastic sticky pads roughly 1cm x 0.5cm.. they are high enough so when the arm rest is closed it sits flush and stops the rattle.

Just now, wharfhouse said:

Didn't know you could get these - when I was looking at mine a few months ago I found one of these - I suspected it might be from the lid but wasn't sure - I'm going to order some of those and replace them in that case - thanks 

Just updated my last post, Lexus Part Direct sell them... i did't know they existed either until 5mins ago lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Just updated my last post, Lexus Part Direct sell them... i did't know they existed either until 5mins ago lol

Thanks - will check out Lexus Parts Direct in that case - I've ordered various bits and pieces from them in the past and they are very reliable. 

1 minute ago, agent_dess said:

I just took a look at mines and I have no holes for those clips, instead the lid has 3 screws.

Here is where I have fitted the plastic pads:

PXL_20240114_1711324412.thumb.jpg.023c09bf77219f3a5d1e741b5cb8bf9c.jpg

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow - I definitely found a small rubber piece like those you linked though without the stem - wonder if the plastic plug that pushes in will still be in there though and the rubber bit fell off - if so would have to get the old plug out to put new ones in. Small problem to be investigated but nice to know about it as it may solve the mystery of the but of rubber I found. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow - I definitely found a small rubber piece like those you linked though without the stem - wonder if the plastic plug that pushes in will still be in there though and the rubber bit fell off - if so would have to get the old plug out to put new ones in. Small problem to be investigated but nice to know about it as it may solve the mystery of the but of rubber I found. 

I've had a look at mine and like yours just screws - no place for the cushions - the same cushions are used in a number of places on Lexus/Toyota cars and so I wonder if they fitted them to facelift models - I certainly found what looked like the rubber tip of one and so possibly there were rubber cushions glued in place and these have fallen off through age/use??? I added the anti-rattle tape as I noticed what was there was coming off and so stuck some new pieces on. Whether that was there from new I don't know as I bought the car when it was 2 years old.

image.thumb.jpeg.439dcfebfcd933efbc240fe0e5ad5eb3.jpeg

20 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

I've had a look at mine and like yours just screws - no place for the cushions - the same cushions are used in a number of places on Lexus/Toyota cars and so I wonder if they fitted them to facelift models - I certainly found what looked like the rubber tip of one and so possibly there were rubber cushions glued in place and these have fallen off through age/use??? I added the anti-rattle tape as I noticed what was there was coming off and so stuck some new pieces on. Whether that was there from new I don't know as I bought the car when it was 2 years old.

image.thumb.jpeg.439dcfebfcd933efbc240fe0e5ad5eb3.jpeg

Mystery solved - looking at the link from the AliExpress from @agent_dess I realised that it's not where the screws are and I had covered the holes for the cushions with the anti-rattle tape I applied - peeled back the tape on the latch (see below image) and there is the remains of the cushion plastic pin - the rubber head has become detached with age/use just leaving the remains in the hole - I will order them from LPD in that case - probably will need to do something like put a screw onto the remains of the old ones in the armrest to pull them out as they are push pin fit.

image.thumb.jpeg.b153db0c479656f8d18a906ed5978ff5.jpeg

• Like 1

Update: So I bought those 2 rubber parts from Lexus Dealership (5 quid in total) and replaced them myself. It is waaay better now and the gap/rattle is almost gone. For perfection, one can add a bit of soft padding (the one on mine is worn out) on top of those rubber parts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdublin said:

Update: So I bought those 2 rubber parts from Lexus Dealership (5 quid in total) and replaced them myself. It is waaay better now and the gap/rattle is almost gone. For perfection, one can add a bit of soft padding (the one on mine is worn out) on top of those rubber parts. 

can you send a picture of them installed please.. i still cannot work out where they are supposed to be installed as there is no obvious holes for them.

4 hours ago, jackdublin said:

I'm waiting on mine from Lexus Parts Direct - should be here in a few days and then I'll replace them - until your post I didn't realise they were meant to be there as mine had lost the rubber cushions without me realising so it proved to be a very useful post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agent_dess said:

can you send a picture of them installed please.. i still cannot work out where they are supposed to be installed as there is no obvious holes for them.

If @jackdublin doesn't get around to it I'll take a few pics of mine as I fit them. 

8 hours ago, agent_dess said:

I just took out circled one (there is another one on the other side) and pushed in the new ones. The one on the pic is worn out. I presume the new ones will be worn out in few years too. 

image.jpeg.9cd668a954d71fd0dc1a6da2b0fc9fe5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jackdublin said:

I just took out circled one (there is another one on the other side) and pushed in the new ones. The one on the pic is worn out. I presume the new ones will be worn out in few years too. 

image.jpeg.9cd668a954d71fd0dc1a6da2b0fc9fe5.jpeg

Yes that's it - the rubber cushion has fallen off the stem on both sides - I found one of the cushions in the centre console but at the time didn't know where it had come from - that was a few months ago and so they had lasted 9 years on my car so if the replacements last the same they will probably outlive my time with the car...! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Yes that's it - the rubber cushion has fallen off the stem on both sides - I found one of the cushions in the centre console but at the time didn't know where it had come from - that was a few months ago and so they had lasted 9 years on my car so if the replacements last the same they will probably outlive my time with the car...! 

Indeed. And probably for even better effect, it is worth to put some anti rattle tape on top of it. 

• Like 1

To wrap up this thread I have just fitted the rubber cushions to my armrest - I've arrowed the images to show what was done as follows (top row left to right followed by bottom row left to right):

- The parts from Lexus - note that you need to ask for TWO of 58959-60060 (one for each side of the armrest) - I ordered these from Lexus Parts Direct - the shipping cost more than the parts...

- On opening the armrest, arrowed are my old rubber cushions - the left one with no rubber (just the stem in the hole) and the right one had a bit of rubber left on it

- After extracting the old stems I am left with two holes

- The new cushions just push fit into the holes - also Lexus had put some felt as shown at each corner and I think in the middle - I had replaced the felt previously with self adhesive anti-rattle tape as it was coming off but didn't know about the rubber cushions (this image shows one side)- you can feel the outline for the tape if its missing at each corner - this is where the plastic will touch the plastic at the edges and under the latch on closing

- Same on the other side

- In the centre console, this is where the rubber cushions in the armrest lid sit when the lid is closed

Having added the new cushions and renewed the felt (with little bits of self adhesive anti-rattle tape) the armrest lid now closes with nice click and there is absolutely no movement in the lid once it's closed. I hadn't appreciated how "loose" it had become with the rubber cushions deteriorating and now I've done it feels like it did when I got the car.

Armrest.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

is there a link to an anti-rattle tape you'd reccommend?

I bought a few metres quite a few years ago - it was either eBay or amazon I purchased it from. I use it on and off if I find something on a car where there is a rattle - usually occurs at a plastic to plastic interface where the two pieces move against each other - slide a bit of tape between and it stops it. The tape is a felt like material and has a self adhesive backing on one side. If you put something like "car anti rattle / squeak felt tape" into Google (or eBay or Amazon) there's loads of it available - pretty much all the same sort of stuff.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links