Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What is China doing about it?

GMB

16 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Genocide and ethnic cleansing have been around since the dark ages.  Its in all of us, that new neighbour that is different to us.. That kid in school with thoses glasses, that colleague with the wrong trainers, that friend of a friend with the wrong religion, that guy down the road with the wrong skin color, that guy from the next village. Does it matter to put it in the right context?  I truly dispise the cancel mob, its egoistic self centered elitist left wing types blocking streets, throwing soup at paintings. Do we really need to put ethnic cleansing in some sort of perspective? Mass killings fitting the social development of the world at the time? Bad is bad, wrong is wrong. China is wrong big time beeing a dictatorship. Feel free to buy a car from there. Its cheap so lets go!

What I meant was judging what happened centuries ago in todays context is just inappropriate to any logical reasoning. Hence, my reference to the 'cancel it' group. Whilst it sounds 'true'  to say 'wrong is wrong' etc that isn't quite right within the context of this argument and it is a 'cancel it' way of looking at issues. I can say right now there were things happening when I was a child in the 1950's that would be not be sanctioned today, but at that time and within that society they were perfectly acceptable and indeed commonplace. The world moves on of course and today it is different, but that does not give anybody the right to stand in judgment on those people living in a different time. That is exactly what 'cancel it' do. In effect it imposes what we think today upon whole populations of people who believed differently at that time. Such a view takes no account for how society develops and learns over time.

Genocide today occurs so often in countries where for whatever reason a common conscience has been/is suppressed and of course to a developed society it is beyond the pale. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

The world moves on of course and today it is different, but that does not give anybody the right to stand in judgment on those people living in a different time.

Indeed.  Such people forget that the world moves on, and what might appear progressive today will be viewed as backwards in a few decades times. It amuses me that in 50 years or so, today's society, includiing the self righteous cancel mob, will probably be viewed as ignorant barbarians.

• Like 3

Another decent China article in the Business section of the Sunday Times today. Tries to be balanced, but I think some of those numbers might ask people to question their optimism regarding China's immediate economic future.

50 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Another decent China article in the Business section of the Sunday Times today. Tries to be balanced, but I think some of those numbers might ask people to question their optimism regarding China's immediate economic future.

OMG you read the Sunday Times ……. I’ve not bought a newspaper in years …… since I stopped needing it for my open fire 🔥 

Burning the news seems best way forward ……. Journalists, Politicians, Financial - Analysts Economists and Newspaper Owners ……. to the top of that bonfire 🔥        Guy Fawkes we NEED you more than ever 😂

Malc 

sorry, I do read lots of online news stuff of course ——- I’m quite “ sad “ 

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

OMG you read the Sunday Times ……. I’ve not bought a newspaper in years …… since I stopped needing it for my open fire 🔥 

Burning the news seems best way forward ……. Journalists, Politicians, Financial - Analysts Economists and Newspaper Owners ……. to the top of that bonfire 🔥        Guy Fawkes we NEED you more than ever 😂

Malc 

sorry, I do read lots of online news stuff of course ——- I’m quite “ sad “ 

That's about all I read. The online news in the main is noise not news informative. Indeed, I could probably reduce many of societies problems just by eliminating that noise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

Indeed.

As the saying goes: "If you don't read the news you're uninformed, and if you do read the news, you're misinformed"

Depends on the source of the news. Over the years I have found the Times to be a level above the rest in terms of research and reporting unburdened by someone's opinion threaded throughout.

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Depends on the source of the news. Over the years I have found the Times to be a level above the rest in terms of research and reporting unburdened by someone's opinion threaded throughout.

I have no idea what to believe these days …….. and it’s going to get much worse with AI I’m understanding ……. should we just trust the BBC and the Times 😂

OR am I going to have to make personal visits to more of these far flung places to make up my own mind BUT to what avail ??? …… if I tell anyone they’ll never believe me anyway 🤔

I’ll just enjoy the travel and scenery and excitement of meeting lots more nice people around the world …….. NOW then ……. can I drive to China ? 

Get the Lexus serviced and pop off for a few months maybe ……. 👍

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

I have no idea what to believe these days …….. and it’s going to get much worse with AI I’m understanding ……. should we just trust the BBC and the Times 😂

OR am I going to have to make personal visits to more of these far flung places to make up my own mind BUT to what avail ??? …… if I tell anyone they’ll never believe me anyway 🤔

I’ll just enjoy the travel and scenery and excitement of meeting lots more nice people around the world …….. NOW then ……. can I drive to China ? 

Get the Lexus serviced and pop off for a few months maybe ……. 👍

Malc 

Or just go to source The Lancashire Oracle :smartass:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Whilst this article is about Hong Kong it overlaps to the issues facing China.

It pains me to say Hong Kong is over (ft.com)

that's often what happens when the freeholder takes back the lease .................. hahahahaha  you now believe the FT  😉

Reading today that the China demographics are forecasting population decline to just 500 million by end of this century ( is it ?? ) and this April the population will be less than that powerhouse of India  

World's a funny old place 😇

Wouldn't surprise me should the China rare minerals search be allowed up into deepest darkest northern Russia and the USA and China build a bridge link across into Alaska, that Bering Strait and the two islands ( one owned by Russia, the other the USA ) in between,  as bridge supports maybe somehow ...  food for thought !

Malc

I strongly recommend watching this YouTube video about China and they're "fake" economy if you will.. It's all facts & research, none of that conspiracy stuff. It's down to you what you make of it after you watched it.

• Like 1

China’s a funny old place ……. remembering my single visit there, with HK some decades back when the whole nation and economy was so so different ……. Mao had gone and freedoms seemed glowing …… walking thru that amazing Tiananmen Square  ……. the temples, the “ peasant “ street markets,  the amazing “early” touristy stuff ……. so glorious 

40 years have seen so much change ….. economy and political and world influencing not in just money but sheer might and military power …….. indeed our NHS at 1.25mn people is only slightly less than the Chinese Army 😂

I don’t doubt in 40 years it will all be so so different ……. especially with Russia voluntarily turning itself over to be that vassal state for China to explore and exploit willy nilly  with no restraint …….. indeed with no real power to restrain that Chinese global powerhouse 

I’m sure we will see some mega change yet again but rest assured China won’t be “ going away “  and it’s financial influence will be, or become, or continue to be, mega 

Malc 

20 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

That's possibly true.   

That said, most news carries some level of opinion. Take things like climate change, Covid, Russia/Ukraine, Israel etc. Even if there's no deliberate bias, there's often a level of assumption or conclusion drawing.

As such, assuming one isn''t an expert on the subject, with detailed knowledge, it's almost impossible to know the truth. One is left to pick a view, which is usually the one that aligns most closely with one's own beliefs. My logical conclusion to that is that one is often no better informed by reading the article, than one is from just reading the headlines.

Like Malc, I haven't bought a newspaper or watched the news in over 30 years. Oddly, I don't feel partcularly less informed, and I definitely feel less stressed 🙂

5 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

That's possibly true.   

That said, most news carries some level of opinion. Take things like climate change, Covid, Russia/Ukraine, Israel etc. Even if there's no deliberate bias, there's often a level of assumption or conclusion drawing.

As such, assuming one isn''t an expert on the subject, with detailed knowledge, it's almost impossible to know the truth. One is left to pick a view, which is usually the one that aligns most closely with one's own beliefs. My logical conclusion to that is that one is often no better informed by reading the article, than one is from just reading the headlines.

Like Malc, I haven't bought a newspaper or watched the news in over 30 years. Oddly, I don't feel partcularly less informed, and I definitely feel less stressed 🙂

On my planet we don't have "beliefs" 😉

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links