Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Full Charge is only 210 miles

I leave my car on charge overnight and set the charger to add enough miles to reach above 240 miles.

Maximum I have achieved is 210 miles.

can anyone tell me why?

Just like an ICE car the range is only a prediction based on assumptions around energy usage and winter weather won't help either.

Are you using on a long journey or multiple shorter journeys, the former would probably be closer to the predicted range.

23 minutes ago, MikeD1948 said:

I leave my car on charge overnight and set the charger to add enough miles to reach above 240 miles.

Maximum I have achieved is 210 miles.

can anyone tell me why?

At the moment, a full charge in mine shows 178 miles. Since new, it has never shown more than 196 miles in warmer weather.  Which model do you have?

During the very cold spell and a fair bit of dual carriageway driving mine is showing about 195 to 200. Screen shot - 186 at 95% so about 196 at 100%. The miles driven was 10 so again 196. The temperature drop effects all EV’s - some by as much as 35%
image.thumb.png.6a1dcb3cceae2192d4492455c0671583.png

11 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

During the very cold spell and a fair bit of dual carriageway driving mine is showing about 195 to 200. Screen shot - 186 at 95% so about 196 at 100%. The miles driven was 10 so again 196. The temperature drop effects all EV’s - some by as much as 35%
image.thumb.png.6a1dcb3cceae2192d4492455c0671583.png

That's interesting Bob. I've never seen a range of 200 miles on mine fully charged even in the the summer months.

20 hours ago, John Adams said:

At the moment, a full charge in mine shows 178 miles. Since new, it has never shown more than 196 miles in warmer weather.  Which model do you have?

The premium plus.....

At the moment I have only done short journeys.

41 minutes ago, MikeD1948 said:

The premium plus.....

At the moment I have only done short journeys.

Yours should do slightly better milage than the Takumi I have. At the moment on roughly 10 mile local trips at 30/40mph I am getting 2.2miles/kwh which implies a range of about 140 miles. Last week I did a 120mile round trip mostly on motorway and A roads at 60mph and I got 2.4miles/kwh which implies a range of around 154 miles which is not brilliant

• Like 1

John. I am sure there is something amiss with your charging / Battery. If it’ll help, I’ll keep a log so you can show Lexus your car is not providing the range it should. I shouldn’t, but on our local dual carriageways (about half my journeys) I drive at 70(+) preheat and then only have heat on for demisting. I have set the auto seat heating at +2 and find that with the auto radiant warm enough - luckily no back seat passengers or drivers. 
The Cross Climate 2 tyres haven’t seemed to effect the range - they certainly feel to provide a lot more grip. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

John. My average is 2.9 miles / kw over 6k with about 60% at 70+ on dual carriageways and some air on / heat 

IMG_1591.jpeg

Bob,  I wish I could get anywhere near that.  We went to Tesco this morning 9 miles away in 30/40mph roads. No aircon but heated seat/radiant heater on and in eco mode. Got 2.4miles/kwh. The dealer says this is normal. I think I will get him to look at this forum again then perhaps he might take me seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

210 is better than I have seen yet but the range is now increasing a little bit after each full charge so I guess the additional data from trips is starting to affect the range predictions as well as it being a little warmer now.

The long-awaited software update has arrived at my dealership today so worth following up to see when you can get it installed

2 minutes ago, SamHe said:

The long-awaited software update has arrived at my dealership today so worth following up to see when you can get it installed

Yes, I found out today and i'm having it done tomorrow

On 1/26/2024 at 6:50 AM, wivenhoe said:

John. Another screenshot for your dealer to see. 
image.thumb.png.872e7a702ad26fb7da09574ee457bfac.png

That's very similar to what I see with an average of 2.2 miles / kw at the moment, The last charge shows 160 but a month ago was around 152, more data means better predictions and warmer weather helps as well.

Mine is in for the update next Tuesday - the dealer offered to collect or I can go to them and have a curtesy car. I suspect it was this that pushed the booking until next week. I’ll be really interested to see if both of you report a real increase in range and particularly a great increase with the heating on. 

1 hour ago, wivenhoe said:

Mine is in for the update next Tuesday - the dealer offered to collect or I can go to them and have a curtesy car. I suspect it was this that pushed the booking until next week. I’ll be really interested to see if both of you report a real increase in range and particularly a great increase with the heating on. 

Mine is going in a week Friday, it was booked a while ago as the charging port lid part weren't available until the 10th so that was the first convenient day for me

Please let us know what the update brings in terms of features (for example does it put % on the energy level like the BZ4x update?), performance and your thoughts. I would be keen to get it for features mainly as the performance is fine for what I use it for but not sure it's worth scheduling a dealer visit for.

As an aside may I say hello and share some thoughts as I'm new to the RZ club! Done 2000 cheap overnight home charged miles in a little over a month of membership with 70 odd mile daily commute whilst keeping the dog/family happy on short weekend trips. Think it drives brilliantly whilst build and quality are superb. The fact it's rare and has a (subjective I know) classy design are a bonus to me. We own a mad weekend petrol car for longer trips and track days (will be a while till I change my username I think).

Not a popular or rounded choice I know but for specific case use I think the RZ is brilliant. Test drove five different electric vehicles before deciding, some of them pretty extensively and came away largely unimpressed and overall feel they are compromised in their own way by being early generation tech. None are truly ready for "prime time" so my suggestion to anyone thinking of the class would be to get one on a two/three year salary sacrifice or lease scheme and wait for the next gen architecture from the OEMs that all seem due around 2026 (BMW's Neue Klasse, Audi/VW's PPE, Toyota/Lexus ZC with Arene OS). Apologies if rubbing salt in the wound for those that bought, I think at least the RZ should be able to run long term without Battery issues given the generous buffer and notoriously conservative Toyota underpinnings.

Couple of impressions on competition that were offering similar priced deals through work and met the space requirements... Tesla MY in particular was disappointing; cheap in look, feel and drive. The door mirror was wobbling just on closing and I thought they were meant to have solved the paint/panel gap/rattle issues but at least the model I got was miles off. Putting aside quality you have to really love the fact it's a Tesla or need the (exaggerated and narrowing) range/charging to compromise on almost every other important aspect of being a "premium" car.

Audi e-tron had the luxury feel/ride but also excessive weight and is incredibly inefficient, thereby considerably more expensive to run (people at work with them are getting 1.5 mile/kwh this winter whilst I've averaged double that in the RZ). Would also lose it in the car park given it's so popular with fleet users.

Mercedes EQC has even worse efficiency if that's possible and to me looks terrible. A Merc exec recently admitted the jelly-bean look is going in the bin for their next gen models as the aero gains are not worth the ungainly/non elegant styling and feedback from potential customers.

BMW did their usual customer service too much for me to really take the iX3 seriously. 

Anyway sort of glad the RZ has flown under the radar as adds a feel of exclusivity to it's quality. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Petrol_Head said:

Please let us know what the update brings in terms of features (for example does it put % on the energy level like the BZ4x update?), performance and your thoughts. I would be keen to get it for features mainly as the performance is fine for what I use it for but not sure it's worth scheduling a dealer visit for.

As an aside may I say hello and share some thoughts as I'm new to the RZ club! Done 2000 cheap overnight home charged miles in a little over a month of membership with 70 odd mile daily commute whilst keeping the dog/family happy on short weekend trips. Think it drives brilliantly whilst build and quality are superb. The fact it's rare and has a (subjective I know) classy design are a bonus to me. We own a mad weekend petrol car for longer trips and track days (will be a while till I change my username I think).

Not a popular or rounded choice I know but for specific case use I think the RZ is brilliant. Test drove five different electric vehicles before deciding, some of them pretty extensively and came away largely unimpressed and overall feel they are compromised in their own way by being early generation tech. None are truly ready for "prime time" so my suggestion to anyone thinking of the class would be to get one on a two/three year salary sacrifice or lease scheme and wait for the next gen architecture from the OEMs that all seem due around 2026 (BMW's Neue Klasse, Audi/VW's PPE, Toyota/Lexus ZC with Arene OS). Apologies if rubbing salt in the wound for those that bought, I think at least the RZ should be able to run long term without battery issues given the generous buffer and notoriously conservative Toyota underpinnings.

Couple of impressions on competition that were offering similar priced deals through work and met the space requirements... Tesla MY in particular was disappointing; cheap in look, feel and drive. The door mirror was wobbling just on closing and I thought they were meant to have solved the paint/panel gap/rattle issues but at least the model I got was miles off. Putting aside quality you have to really love the fact it's a Tesla or need the (exaggerated and narrowing) range/charging to compromise on almost every other important aspect of being a "premium" car.

Audi e-tron had the luxury feel/ride but also excessive weight and is incredibly inefficient, thereby considerably more expensive to run (people at work with them are getting 1.5 mile/kwh this winter whilst I've averaged double that in the RZ). Would also lose it in the car park given it's so popular with fleet users.

Mercedes EQC has even worse efficiency if that's possible and to me looks terrible. A Merc exec recently admitted the jelly-bean look is going in the bin for their next gen models as the aero gains are not worth the ungainly/non elegant styling and feedback from potential customers.

BMW did their usual customer service too much for me to really take the iX3 seriously. 

Anyway sort of glad the RZ has flown under the radar as adds a feel of exclusivity to it's quality. 

Will update when i get the update.

Nice to get some feedback on alternatives, I must confess that brand loyalty and the levels of customer service I have always got were my main considerations, so I didn't really look at the competition. Feeling a bit better for reading your thoughts and my only real issue is with the Battery and charging on those longer journeys

Glad to see the owner membership growing - I think up to 4 of us now !  I believe the update increases the range by reducing the buffer with some other software improvements including reducing the dramatic indicated loss in range for using the aircon / heating. When was your car manufactured ? The cars built late 2023 had the update installed at he factory - that may be why you seem to be achieving 3.0 miles / kw !

I think it is a fault with the design but maybe it’s just my car - can you have the fan on without the a/c and so the indicated range doesn’t dive ? In my case, having the a/c button on r off doesn’t make a difference. 

Pleased to see a favourable review by someone who has driven the car for more than 30 minutes or read American reviews. I posted an extract from Car Magazine which you may find of interest to quote when the Tesla fans deride the RZ for lack of range - https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/145762-diminishing-range-on-a-full-charge-and-slow-charging-rates/?&page=2#comments

2 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

Glad to see the owner membership growing - I think up to 4 of us now !  I believe the update increases the range by reducing the buffer with some other software improvements including reducing the dramatic indicated loss in range for using the aircon / heating. When was your car manufactured ? The cars built late 2023 had the update installed at he factory - that may be why you seem to be achieving 3.0 miles / kw !

I think it is a fault with the design but maybe it’s just my car - can you have the fan on without the a/c and so the indicated range doesn’t dive ? In my case, having the a/c button on r off doesn’t make a difference. 

Pleased to see a favourable review by someone who has driven the car for more than 30 minutes or read American reviews. I posted an extract from Car Magazine which you may find of interest to quote when the Tesla fans deride the RZ for lack of range - https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/145762-diminishing-range-on-a-full-charge-and-slow-charging-rates/?&page=2#comments

It seems that the fan regardless of whether its heating or cooling or just blowing air at the ambient temperature shows a massive drop in range, TBH i can live with the range if charging was quicker, stopping for 20 minutes is ok but when it takes 40 minutes to push 20 - 30 KWh in to the Battery it quickly become a pain to travel any distance, so I'm hoping that the charging curve is improved with the update as that will make the biggest difference for me.

I'm not sure when my car was manufactured as it was in stock with Lexus in the UK when I ordered it, but it didn't have the update so I'm guessing it had been in country for a couple of months or so

Last summer, I had to use public chargers for 6 weeks and in those temperatures on 150kw chargers it was taking about 30 mins from 20% to 80% so ok.  I have a longish drive next week so expecting it to take longer - I hope it does better than 40 mins for 50% but not expecting it. 
We’re taking the car to Jersey in August - from what I can see they have only 2 ultra rapid chargers on the whole island, vast majority of chargers are 7kw so that will be a ‘challenge’. I think it is an indicator of what could happen here - they don’t have the infrastructure and power generation to allow loads of ultra chargers, which explains why there is not the even spread of chargers here. 

• 2 weeks later...

John. Had a trouble free drive. Stopped at Rugby Moto Services - loads of rapid chargers available. The 20 Tesla ones are now live too so helps. Was even getting 20kw at 91%. I averaged 3.2 m/kw driving at 65mph the whole way. Now using a 75kw rapid at 40% and getting the charger max so happy with that.(The 25 in the shot is the speed of the CA charger not the CCS)

I noticed that the range drops marginally (about 7 miles) if the aircon / heating is up to 3 then 25 miles if on full. Again, very happy with that. 

I asked and they did update the map to what looks to be Dec 23. The traffic cameras are shown much better. 

See the screenshots for your discussions when you take your car in for the DC work. IMG_1622.thumb.jpeg.a8aa642aa4761e69b2b6b33cd86b78b7.jpeg

IMG_1621.jpeg

IMG_1620.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links