Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing sensors

Boomer54

Yesterday evening I was reversing Lexigirl in to meet her new boyfriend and her reversing sensors went off from the  moment I engaged reverse. Now she may possibly have decided she doesn't care for the new boyfriend ,or more likely could it be something is 'coating' one of the sensors? Or, indeed any other ideas on the issue? Is it worth just washing the back sensors with soapy water? Or, is there something more 'cutting' I should use that will do the job without harming the paint finish?

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

Mine were off from the moment I bought it.

When you say "off" do you mean they were sounding continuously when in reverse gear regardless of not being near to any obstruction?

4 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

or more likely could it be something is 'coating' one of the sensors?

Well, that could be one answer - a wipe over with a damp cloth might sort it out.  But considering the age of the car, I would have thought that years of damp may be the cause.

It may be that the sensor connections have rusted or possibly even the selector switch operated by the gear lever when selecting reverse?  

4 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Yesterday evening I was reversing Lexigirl in to meet her new boyfriend and her reversing sensors went off from the  moment I engaged reverse. Now she may possibly have decided she doesn't care for the new boyfriend ,or more likely could it be something is 'coating' one of the sensors? Or, indeed any other ideas on the issue? Is it worth just washing the back sensors with soapy water? Or, is there something more 'cutting' I should use that will do the job without harming the paint finish?

Try WD40 To Clean the sensors or a Coating of Vaseline I,ve Heard..!!!

• Thanks 1

I would try cleaning them first.

Having said that, I had a similar recurring problem on a previous car. The fix for that was to reset the sensors by starting the car followed by a sequence of shifting from neutral to drive to reverse, not quite sure of the order. Don't know if there's a similar reset sequence for yours.

• Thanks 1

Mine don’t work either and as they are all dealer fit, guess 15 years on they had their life expectancy.

I have another set to go in, just working out if I can pull the new wiring through, taping it to the old wiring.

Failing that it’s bumper off ☹️

if Lexus used the same company it will be a Scorpion SPS9040 Sensor kit, did take the unit apart but no moisture or corrosion inside .

Unit can be found behind the grey trim o/s rear of boot 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

When I bought mine it didn’t have any fitted so I fitted Dolphin sensors front and back. I fitted the flush type and the blue colour they came was a perfect match for my paintwork. Bumpers have to come off and I wired the rear ones to the connector box in boot where the reversing lights are fed from. Worst and most stressful bit was deciding where to position them on the bumpers. The good thing is with the flush ones they provide a hole cutter which makes a perfect hole.  If you have the mushroom type already fitted you may be able to change them without taking the bumper off. Your existing ones also may have an inline fuse so that would be worth testing to see if you have power to the control box.  Failing that you probably need new sensors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reversing sensors working as per usual having removed a very small 'leaf' that got stuck on one of the rear sensors. Duh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob King said:

May clean the connections on my control box and see if it springs into life .

Hmm, are we still talking about cars.:wink3:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

Hmm, are we still talking about cars.:wink3:

I thought it was cobbles??

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 2:37 PM, Boomer54 said:

Reversing sensors working as per usual having removed a very small 'leaf' that got stuck on one of the rear sensors. Duh.

See I do not sell rubbish and it never  had leaves on it when I owned it😃 TBH I fitted those sensors they are dolphin ones as Bob describes, you do not need to to remove bumper to fit from memory there is a good length of wire and a little connector and each sensor just pushes in from outside the car then click connectors together I used the original buzzer🤩 Stew

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links