Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two appointments.

I think the 12 weeks you will be ok. Don't rush anything take every day in its stride. I cant emphasize enough time take your time. Don't be afraid to let others do things. Careful with lifting IE let others bring shopping bags from car. You wont be able to drive for 6weeks i think it was when i had mine. You will get stronger i promise but it takes time. Get enrolled in the cardiac rehabilitation class that helps. One milestone i remember is getting my surgical stockings off i had on both legs. They will harvest the veins from your legs if your lucky they might take one from the chest they are better and have less chance of clogging up again. You will gradually build up the distance you can walk each week going further. You'll be ok just don't rush and take your time.

• Like 2

I’ve sure learnt from all this ……. the throughout life exercise and good dietary de-stressing regime one needs to follow …… throughout life …… just doesn’t overcome the unfortunate genetic hereditary curved balls you’re given 

one must just do all one can oneself to keep on the “ right side “ of ok health …… as best as one can 

the Gods have their turn at tipping it all upside down and there’s probably bugger all you can do about that 

It will all work out fine for you Neil …… we’re all rooting for you 🙏

Malc 

2 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I’ve sure learnt from all this ……. the throughout life exercise and good dietary de-stressing regime one needs to follow …… throughout life …… just doesn’t overcome the unfortunate genetic hereditary curved balls you’re given 

one must just do all one can oneself to keep on the “ right side “ of ok health …… as best as one can 

the Gods have their turn at tipping it all upside down and there’s probably bugger all you can do about that 

It will all work out fine for you Neil …… we’re all rooting for you 🙏

Malc 

Need to correct that one Malc, you can do something about it  !. Besides the lifestyle stuff you can be aware of what to look for with heart related issues. There are usually early warnings, shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, sharp pains in the upper left arm. If you are aware of these get a check up straightaway, because if it really is the time when DNA is ready to throw you the curveball then at least we have a level of medical science that can shove it back under a rock for quite a long time. Really we are the first generation to have been given that gift as many of the age related and DNA origined ailments have been only been addressed within our lifetime. Talk about a lucky generation !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALAW said:

I think the 12 weeks you will be ok. Don't rush anything take every day in its stride. I cant emphasize enough time take your time. Don't be afraid to let others do things. Careful with lifting IE let others bring shopping bags from car. You wont be able to drive for 6weeks i think it was when i had mine. You will get stronger i promise but it takes time. Get enrolled in the cardiac rehabilitation class that helps. One milestone i remember is getting my surgical stockings off i had on both legs. They will harvest the veins from your legs if your lucky they might take one from the chest they are better and have less chance of clogging up again. You will gradually build up the distance you can walk each week going further. You'll be ok just don't rush and take your time.

After reading some of the comments on here I'm wondering if 12 weeks is long enough to recover for what is for me a very important get together with my son, as it needs to be quality time. I haven't seen him for years and time is running out for future get togethers. On the other hand he will no doubt want me to do the best l can to look after myself. I discussed this scenario with the surgeon last September when he put me on the list and said it could be postponed if need be. I'm not sure what to do. At the moment with the recent medication change l feel quite good but as the surgeon says could, and probably will change.

15 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

After reading some of the comments on here I'm wondering if 12 weeks is long enough to recover for what is for me a very important get together with my son, as it needs to be quality time. I haven't seen him for years and time is running out for future get togethers. On the other hand he will no doubt want me to do the best l can to look after myself. I discussed this scenario with the surgeon last September when he put me on the list and said it could be postponed if need be. I'm not sure what to do. At the moment with the recent medication change l feel quite good but as the surgeon says could, and probably will change.

Jeez, don't even think about postponing this op ............. afterwards you'll find the sensible way to full recovery and your son will still be there and simply adjust to whatever he needs to for you

Your health is far more important than the whim of a holiday  ...  that can take place with you chilling out and letting others take the helm !

Malc

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

You need to go with the medical expert view on this.

I will tell you my thoughts. I think your medication is probably the same I got, Nitrate. It dilates your blood vessels so you have that little bit more room in there to let that bit more blood to your heart and thats why you feel better ,because you are getting more oxygen from your increased blood supply. The only reason that would stop working is not that it would stop dilating your blood vessels it would be that your blood vessels actually got that bit more blocked thereby reducing the effect of the Nitrate. However, the latter blockage did not occur overnight. It's been a multi year issue hence following that logic, any further meaningful blockage is hardly likely to occur in a matter of a few months. You see where this is going?

Against that is one other factor which may be significant and I cannot comment on it. You have already had a heart attack and frankly I don't know what damage was done by that ,but it may be enough to want your Consultant to take no chances and get you done sooner than later.

I reiterate your legs and your stamina will recover more quickly than your upperbody. Can you have the boating holiday without doing the heavy lifting bit. You could take the wheel for example, but running up sails etc I think that's a shout too far, because even if you do it I bet you will feel some discomfort from doing it.

Trying to help, but please do whatever your consultant deems best for you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

You need to go with the medical expert view on this.

I will tell you my thoughts. I think your medication is probably the same I got, Nitrate. It dilates your blood vessels so you have that little bit more room in there to let that bit more blood to your heart and thats why you feel better ,because you are getting more oxygen from your increased blood supply. The only reason that would stop working is not that it would stop dilating your blood vessels it would be that your blood vessels actually got that bit more blocked thereby reducing the effect of the Nitrate. However, the latter blockage did not occur overnight. It's been a multi year issue hence following that logic, any further meaningful blockage is hardly likely to occur in a matter of a few months. You see where this is going?

Against that is one other factor which may be significant and I cannot comment on it. You have already had a heart attack and frankly I don't know what damage was done by that ,but it may be enough to want your Consultant to take no chances and get you done sooner than later.

I reiterate your legs and your stamina will recover more quickly than your upperbody. Can you have the boating holiday without doing the heavy lifting bit. You could take the wheel for example, but running up sails etc I think that's a shout too far, because even if you do it I bet you will feel some discomfort from doing it.

Trying to help, but please do whatever your consultant deems best for you.

Thanks for the reply. The meds that have made a difference are Ranolazine, Isosorbide, Amlodipine. I did discuss the postponement scenario at length with the surgeon in September who said 'if it needs to be done that's ok with him'. It's a little difficult for others to understand l know, but this is more than just a holiday it's a chance to meet up with my son in Ireland who l have not seen for many years as he lives in Australia. It would also impact on others not being able to see him. Thanks again for all the replies, l really do appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Thanks for the reply. The meds that have made a difference are Ranolazine, Isosorbide, Amlodipine. I did discuss the postponement scenario at length with the surgeon in September who said 'if it needs to be done that's ok with him'. It's a little difficult for others to understand l know, but this is more than just a holiday it's a chance to meet up with my son in Ireland who l have not seen for many years as he lives in Australia. It would also impact on others not being able to see him. Thanks again for all the replies, l really do appreciate it.

No surprises there. Isosorbide is a Nitrate to dilate your blood vessels. The others in loose terms and doing the job differently are likely to inhibit your heart 'palpitations' and basically make your heart more stable by making it easier for your heart to pump blood and stop any palpitations escalating in a high risk manner.

Frankly, if I read it right your consultant thinks you could delay this OP without him being too concerned. So you have two things to think about. Can you have the OP and enjoy your holiday knowing you are going to pass on some of the heavy lifting. Alternatively, are you going to defer the OP and be able to function as you currently function. Think your consultant is telling you to take your pick.

23 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

No surprises there. Isosorbide is a Nitrate to dilate your blood vessels. The others in loose terms and doing the job differently are likely to inhibit your heart 'palpitations' and basically make your heart more stable by making it easier for your heart to pump blood and stop any palpitations escalating in a high risk manner.

Frankly, if I read it right your consultant thinks you could delay this OP without him being too concerned. So you have two things to think about. Can you have the OP and enjoy your holiday knowing you are going to pass on some of the heavy lifting. Alternatively, are you going to defer the OP and be able to function as you currently function. Think your consultant is telling you to take your pick.

I have arranged to have a chat with the surgeons secretary to see what they advise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Boomer54 said:

Think your consultant is telling you to take your pick.

That does seem to be the way of it these days.  The medical professionals present the options and it’s then a matter of ‘Patient Choice’.  Which can be fine - especially if you have the same degree of knowledge as the Consultant!

My attitude is to prefer the least invasive option initially.  I have also found that asking the Consultant directly the question “If it was your heart condition, what would you do?” allows them to give a less guarded response.

7 hours ago, beyond the blue said:

I did discuss the postponement scenario at length with the surgeon in September who said 'if it needs to be done that's ok with him'. It's a little difficult for others to understand l know, but this is more than just a holiday it's a chance to meet up with my son in Ireland who l have not seen for many years as he lives in Australia. It would also impact on others not being able to see him.

I appreciate the dilemma.  If the medical advice is that you should have physically recovered from the effects of surgery after twelve weeks, then the medication should then reduce the chances of further heart problems on a par with simply staying at home.

As has been mentioned, let everyone know about the heart bypass, that you’re still recovering from it and that if there’s anything even slightly strenuous to be done, you’ll be watching them do it!  I suspect that you’ll regret not meeting up with your Son - and I expect he’ll particularly appreciate you making the effort after such a serious operation.

Finally, if you do meet up, be disciplined enough not to celebrate too enthusiastically.  I’m sure everyone will be understanding if you decline the usual glasses of alcohol consumed at such events! 😊

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links