Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android mobile and USB music differences in interface

Until the weekend I'd always used a USB stick for my music store in my NX450h and all worked fine but having just bought a new Samsung mobile with oodles of storage I decided to use the phone as the music store. One of the main reasons for doing this was to free up the USB data connector for Android Auto if ever needed.

One difference that became instantly apparent is that the interface presented is slightly different than that when using music sourced from USB. The interface using the USB displayed an A-Z quick list option on the far right of the screen which, although too small and a bit of a pain to touch on, gave me  the option of quickly moving to artists\albums\tracks beginning with a certain letter. This option isn't present when music is sourced from the Samsung phone so if I want to choose music from say, ZZ Top, I have to scroll through every artist entry from A to Z. This takes an age.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it linked to the phone model or is it the same for all phones? Is there a workaround?

I can't help you with regards to the "native" audio interface when connecting the phone to the Infotainment system via USB as I have never done that. However, what I would say is that maybe now's the time to use Android Auto, seeing that you are connecting up the phone anyway. That way you could install one of the numerous MP3 player apps (that allow you to play local music files on your phone) and "mirror" it to the car via Android Auto. The interface will be a lot more logical and usable. The player app I use, and would recommend, is Poweramp. 

If you still wish to use the Lexus Infotainment system primarily (for the satnav for example), it's quite easy to switch between that and AA (in fact I think I'm right in saying that the Lexus audio interface can show you what's playing via AA). 

I prefer the native Lexus interface to Android Auto TBH but AA does allow me to use Tidal and Samsung Music. If only I didn't need the blasted cable!

1 hour ago, BonzoSPB said:

I prefer the native Lexus interface to Android Auto TBH but AA does allow me to use Tidal and Samsung Music. If only I didn't need the blasted cable!

You might consider purchasing one of the "wireless AA" dongles that are on the market. If so, I would recommend the "AAWireless" one - https://www.aawireless.io/

7 hours ago, BonzoSPB said:

Sean....purely a personal opinion but I don't find the USB cable an issue at all....I certainly wouldn't spend money on a wireless solution. Keeps my phone well charged on a long journey too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links