Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What scared the squeal out of my Lexus?

I rarely have cause to lower the driver’s window, so when I did so a couple of days ago the accompanying squealing was a bit of a shock!  OK…so not the worst automotive challenge, but still a pain.

First thought - grime on the rubber seals across the top of the door.  So a vigorous rubbing with a microfibre cloth resulted in …no change at all!  So it was down to Screwfix and hand over £7.59 for a can of WD40 Silicon spray.  

Back home, I prepare the can to spray down the window guides and press the button to lower the window.  It glides down with but a whisper!  It closes just as silently!  Apparently just the mere presence of a can of WD40 Silicon has scared the squeal out of it.  But I give the rubber guides a couple of shots anyway.

So, was it a delayed response to cleaning the top of the window?  Or an instance of a Lexus eerily sensing the presence of the WD40 Silicon?  Who knows?  Who cares?

Either way, I now have a lifetime’s supply of the stuff in the shed.

• Like 5

I think Einstein would have called it spooky action at a distance.

Something to do with quantum entanglement. Much like Schrodinger's cat, the window possesses both possibilties of it either squeaking, or not, and only adopts a singular state when you use it.

The broader question would be whether it makes a sound if no-one's there to hear it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

one frosty winter my wife got up to take the car out early only to return to tell me the can of deicer was rubbish.

i went to see and found that she had sprayed plenty of WD40 on every window and especially on the 2 wiper blades.

took more than 10 minutes to clear up!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:40 PM, Bluemarlin said:

Something to do with quantum entanglement. Much like Schrodinger's cat…

A recent reassessment of Shrodinger’s thought experiment suggests it may have been based on a typo. It wasn’t a cat at all!

image.thumb.jpeg.6ba8e01e43947db0f5a28f69e4871f1f.jpeg

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links