Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota cars collecting and potentially sharing location data

I saw this article today, and I imagine Lexus are part of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/feb/08/toyota-cars-collecting-and-potentially-sharing-location-data-and-personal-information-choice-says

Are there any experts out there who know if this is going on in the UK? Would GDPR regulations protect us?

Also would my 2015 RCF be doing this on its own, or would it need a device like a smartphone to pass on the data?

Or perhaps I need to order one of these:

Archie McPhee Tin Foil Hat

Important, I think, to read what you happy to agree to. I think, hope, that our laws give greater protection; I haven't read anything that gives my permission to pass data to insurance companies (unless directed to by a court) and wouldn't agree to this voluntarily. I have opted out of passing data to a third party company that says it is asking for data to improve road sign recognition for example, but I have opted 'in' to receiving live traffic updates for which the system needs to know my location. We have to make our own choices about these things.

Some dealers helpfully set up the app for their customers when they purchase/collect their car but, invariably, they just accept all the terms when they do so to help ensure everything works as it was designed to. If privacy is a concern, then either, at the time or soon after, check what is being/has been agreed to. I was reasonably happy with Toyota terms. I particularly looked for what would happen to my phone contacts details as my old 2017 Ford T&Cs indicated that all my contacts would be passed to Ford in the USA. I didn't agree to this, even though Ford's intentions were probably honourable. I didn't read anything similar in the Toyota T&Cs so assumed (maybe naively) that this information would be kept exclusively between me, my car and my phone.

I do feel that I'm part of an experiment with all the (car) data being collected. I don't want to pass on my data but, at the same time, if this data helps manufacturers improve their systems then that has to be a good thing. Some of the software controlled 'safety systems' are, frankly, pretty bad, dangerous at times, so the sooner real world conditions are understood, the sooner we might get safer safety systems.

• Like 1

By coincidence, My app wanted me to agree a new set of permissions today. Took a look and data only passed to insurer if opted into the 'connected insurance score visualisation services'. Definitely, some things I don't agree to and I was able to opt out of these (Personalised comms, Partner access, Insights and Innovating products and services) but app would not let me do anything without first agreeing to the new Privacy Notice T&Cs and the Smart Services T&Cs. The latter appears to sweep up all manner of services, including: Standard Car Services, Remote Services, Insurance Services (if you're in the scheme), HomeCharge services and Smart Car Services. The link to what these are for is just a general advert for the app and I found it impossible to link the T&Cs with particular functions (in the car and/or app), let alone how to opt out of things I don't want.

To be honest it appears such a catch-all and so very confusingly worded that I don't know what I have agreed to this afternoon! But the lack of clarity has created a mis-trust and I don't appear to have a choice as everything appears to be wrapped up in one agreement. I might be wrong, hope I am. I have a dealer appointment next week so I shall be asking some tough questions - but I'm not expecting robust answers as all the T&Cs come out of Toyota Europe.

• Like 1

If car companies are prepared to defraud emissions regulations across the world I have no doubt they will ride rough shod over mine or yours GDPR, on the basis you might or might not ticked a box, possibly, maybe.

In fact I'd be surprised if they weren't recording all sorts of data.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links