Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Silicone & White Grease Recommendations

Once a year, usually start of Spring, I've made it a habit to neatly wipe down the rubber components (trim, window buffers, door seals) with some silicone spray - as well as the side rails where the glass slides up and down. To stop them sticking in cold weather and to protect them a little from heat / cold and delay the cracking from age that will eventually happen. 

Similarly, with the door hinges, boot hinges and bonnet hinge / mechanism, check straps, give them a dollop of white grease to keep them sliding smoothly and inhibit any corrosion where possible. 

I think the silicone spray onto a cloth is fine. 

For white grease, do any of you have recommendations? 

On my last car (an Avensis) in 2022 I foolishly bought a spray which was very thick (nearly like foaming how thick it came out - and messy). It made a mess to the eyes and also, once the heat from the bonnet etc got at it, turned into a black mess that I never got off.  Would a tub have been better? 

Hopefully I've reminded some of you to do this little job. In return... anybody got any ways I can avoid making a mess of my newly acquired CT200h? 

12 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

FYI, Lexus no longer recommend grease on the door strap as per a TSB about 5 years ago:

ABOLISHMENT OF GREASE APPLICATION TO DOOR CHECK

Why so? Did they give any context? I suppose I could give the strap a miss then but do the hinges.. 

I want to take Lexus recommendation. But at the same time, they don't recommend the transmission fluid changed, and having just done mine at 70k, it certainly was burnt / had soaked in some nastiness since new. That makes me want to perhaps exceed some of their suggestions.

4 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

Why so? Did they give any context? I suppose I could give the strap a miss then but do the hinges.. 

I want to take Lexus recommendation. But at the same time, they don't recommend the transmission fluid changed, and having just done mine at 70k, it certainly was burnt / had soaked in some nastiness since new. That makes me want to perhaps exceed some of their suggestions.

I've not found a copy of the document to understand why - possibly it will react with the plastic, or owners get grease on the clothes, or maybe it attracts dirt and causes wear. To actively issue a statement to dealers not to do it must mean there is a reason.

You would still apply it on the hinges.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I've not found a copy of the document to understand why - possibly it will react with the plastic, or owners get grease on the clothes, or maybe it attracts dirt and causes wear. To actively issue a statement to dealers not to do it must mean there is a reason.

You would still apply it on the hinges.

True, I'll give the straps a miss then.  I suppose the actual bits that move on those are hidden inside the door anyway for the most part.  At least they are still telling them to still use some on the hinges, had they advised against that, my trust would be gone! 

Is using a tub and a small blob on the hinge ends the best approach? I found a spray to be very messy. 

3 minutes ago, CT200NI said:

Is using a tub and a small blob on the hinge ends the best approach? I found a spray to be very messy. 

Less is best - the grease is only performing a function on the moving surfaces. Spraying it all over the hinge body just creates a mess. I tend to apply, open/close the door a few times and then wipe off the excess.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links