Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! I messed up my headlight restoration

Not sure what happened. I followed the package instructions to the tee. I think the protectant did not dry properly? It was sticky after a few hours. I didn't drive the car until the next day. Kept it in shade and covered from rain. The headlights felt dry the next day. However after a few hours in the sun they felt blotchy. 24hrs later this is the result. They feel grainy and gross now. 

What can I do? Do I sand off the protectant and start again? 

PXL_20240213_215511107.jpg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

What kit did you use? I'm guessing that its maybe too cold for the product to have cured properly.

This one. Yeah it is cold and wet. I should've waited for warmer weather 😔

Screenshot_20240213-222337.png

In the mean time use Meguiars PlastX, not temperature dependant and can be applied by hand. Although some elbow grease will be required to clear up the above mess I expect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G12310EU-Plast-RX-Plastic-Headlight/dp/B07X9N3PPK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=27LRWDPDA007U&keywords=plastRx&qid=1707895459&sprefix=plastrx%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-2&th=1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J Henderson said:

What kit did you use? I'm guessing that its maybe too cold for the product to have cured properly.

Yeah it will be just too cold for it to cure. 

Rule of thumb with sealants - 20C+ and ideally dry place for application, then 24h no exposure to water. 

I remember making same mistake with ceramic coating applying it in cold garage in February... took 2 days to cure and then was kind of hazy requiring machine polishing entire car again.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 7:25 AM, peniole said:

In the mean time use Meguiars PlastX, not temperature dependant and can be applied by hand. Although some elbow grease will be required to clear up the above mess I expect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G12310EU-Plast-RX-Plastic-Headlight/dp/B07X9N3PPK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=27LRWDPDA007U&keywords=plastRx&qid=1707895459&sprefix=plastrx%2Caps%2C77&sr=8-2&th=1

Thanks for the advice. Sanded the protectant off and used plastx but it was still hazy (although much better than it was). Ended up redoing the restoration with Meguiars & it worked out great. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lonesy said:

Thanks for the advice. Sanded the protectant off and used plastx but it was still hazy (although much better than it was). Ended up redoing the restoration with Meguiars & it worked out great. 

You're welcome. Glad it worked out.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links