Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam front rear and sides

Hey guys,
My nx300h was stolen a couple of months ago and I'm getting my 450h+ plugin takumi next week.
I had lots of little damage on the nx300h from people crashing into it and running off, it is usually on the sides of the car as well as the wings and bumpers.
I wanted to install something that can grab the number plate and video the incidents (front, rear, and sides) I can't seem to find anything that has a perfect solution.
Any ideas?

On 2/16/2024 at 10:53 AM, mblackuk said:

Hey guys,
My nx300h was stolen a couple of months ago and I'm getting my 450h+ plugin takumi next week.
I had lots of little damage on the nx300h from people crashing into it and running off, it is usually on the sides of the car as well as the wings and bumpers.
I wanted to install something that can grab the number plate and video the incidents (front, rear, and sides) I can't seem to find anything that has a perfect solution.
Any ideas?

I would like that too (something similar to the views in Teslas). Side view will be helpful to get more footage of people attacking wheel arches (e.g. CANBUS theft attempts), door dingers etc, but only if the footage is uploaded to the cloud (something an aftermarket box can do I believe for Teslas).

I wonder if is there a unit that uses the built-in rear and side cameras (for those with the 360 panoramic parking installed), then we only need to install a front camera and minimise too much non-standard kit and avoid more unsightly boxes stuck to windows. I haven't heard of one on the market sadly.

I recently did quite a bit of research to find something to meet my needs and never came across side cameras.  In the unlikely event that they exist, you couldn't use them for long without draining the pathetic 12v auxilliary Battery on the NX 450h+. Other threads on this forum give many examples when the 12v goes flat quickly and I hate to think how long it would (or wouldn't) last in a full 'surveillance' mode.  Hell, I get nervous switching my dash cam to parking mode for a hour visit to the local supermarket!  There is a fail-safe voltage that is set but that, apparently, doesn't always work (not tested personally).

Sadly, I suspect that your search will bear no fruit. But if you do come across something interesting, please let us all know.

Good luck

Thinkware can supply side cameras to compliment their dashcams.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/product/extsidecamera/

As pointed out though, the 12v Battery isn’t much use for parking mode - I think I get about 5 mins with my Thinkware dashcam before the camera shuts itself down due to the low 12v Battery charge (it monitors the 12v Battery. However, if you want an all singing all dancing system they also supply auxiliary back up batteries. Anything is possible, all depends how much you want to spend.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/product/ivoltminiexternalbattery/
https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/product/ivolt-pro-external-battery/

Disclaimer: I have no association with Thinkware, It has just been my dashcam of choice over the past 6 years

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links