Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just how good are some "security" products?

I came across the following video earlier today, and it just makes you wonder what hope is there? I'm sure its probably been posted before, but for those that didn't see it first time around (including me), then watch and weep!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

I came across the following video earlier today, and it just makes you wonder what hope is there? I'm sure its probably been posted before, but for those that didn't see it first time around (including me), then watch and weep

It’s disappointing that the Xlock succumbed to drilling out the lock, but it may still deter the casual thief who hasn’t come equipped with power tools  - and is prepared to spend a little time hanging around.

But it illustrates the old principle of getting what you pay for.  The Gold Disklok is substantially more expensive but claims to resist attempts to drill or pick the lock.

https://disklokuk.co.uk/product/disklok-gold-edition/#:~:text=ANTI-DRILL LOCK,1%2C000%2C000 combinationunique key code.

Another device not tested was the Milenco bar lock - which like the Disklok has passed the 5-minute attack test.

https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/milenco-steering-wheel-lock?psafe_param=1&targetid=dsa-19959388920&matchtype=&device=t&campaignid=15548184439&creative=569168980234&adgroupid=131395587735&feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=1006494&loc_interest_ms=&network=g&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$&target=&aceid=&adposition=&trackid=uk_all_top_11_2&mId=407-132-4411&trackOld=true&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAACWZmZl0uYtdZBEWueW7qBbVGMF7Q&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6s-0iKCyhAMVxJJQBh2FwwExEAAYAyAAEgIVJPD_BwE

Of course, you could invest in one of the better immobiliser systems such as the Ghost, which may invite a Canbus attack.  I think the advantage of a visible deterrent is that it suggests to the thief that this is the prime security system.  Combine this with a Kill Switch and you present the thief with an additional, time-consuming problem with an engine that turns over and doesn’t fire up.

Short of putting the car on to a trailer, most thieves will be inclined to move on to a softer target.

After all, the two thieves in the video only located the kill switch because they were given heavy hints to look for one!  There are much better places in which to locate it.

To be honest none of those were very surprising. If one really wants to secure their car then additional, purpose made immobiliser is the way. They get fitted into most difficult to access places and most of the thieves won't have time to figure out what it is and where it is. Sure - that does not prevent them from breaking into your car (wheel lock to be fair is one of best in terms of visual deterrents), but they most likely going to have to abandon it. 

6 hours ago, LenT said:

better immobiliser systems such as the Ghost, which may invite a Canbus attack

If immobiliser is properly fitted then CANBUS attack shouldn't by pass it. 

But I agree with layered security approach - wheel lock should deter some thieves just on the basis that there is more than one security feature fitted into the car, so they can't simply rely on soft attack and doing it quietly like relay for keyless or CANBUS hack. Using angle grinder even for 3 minutes at night is definitely not what they want to do. Then even if some thieves going to be very determined, basically doing relay, getting into the car, already waking-up whole neighbourhood cutting/drilling the lock-out and THEN after all that car doesn't start and they need to spend extra 5 minutes finding where immobiliser is and how to bypass it... then they may give-up and run.

The key issue in UK - thieves can actually afford to take time, they are not at risk to be caught by police, because police won't come even in 30 minutes and they are not at risk of owner doing anything because using any sorts of weapons to defend your property is illegal in UK. So unless owner turns out to be Bruce Lee (what are the chances of that), they can take their dear time to do whatever they want. So I think final step should always be a tracker.

But... that said my solution is to drive 17 years old GS300 on the basis nobody will steal it. I just don't want to worry about my car being stolen and fitting 5 different systems to prevent it. I mean really - UK Police, please do your job, this is getting ridiculous!

P.S. - I say "UK Police", but the issue is much wider, don't want to write whole essay, but it is issue with the laws themselves, CPS, Courts etc. So by "Police" I just mean entire justice system and enforcement from beginning to the end sucks. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links