Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heavy oil consumption

Don C

Hi folks. 

Got a mate with a 1.8 CT on an 11 plate with pushing 100k on it.  He’s had it a long time but for the last couple of years it’s started using about 2 litres per 1000 miles of proper 0/20 oil.  No leaks or smoke.  Before I delve into it, is this a common issue on this engine?  A search is bringing up anything but useful information.   

It's a worldwide common issue, although not seen as much in the UK. There are two issues, one is the EGR can become blocked, the other, which is likely your mate's issue, is the piston rings which get coked up, cannot rotate and cannot drain oil correctly. It ultimately wears the cylinder bores so even if you free the rings it will still consume oil. It's a design issue that has affected several engines - my son's 2012 1.3 Yaris suffers the same issue - possibly because the previous owner didn't do regular oil changes with quality oil.

In 2014/15, Toyota fixed the issue with resigned pistons and oil control rings which have larger holes and different tension.

He could try using engine flush before each oil change, and possibly move to 5W30 oil which may help consumption but will increase petrol usage somewhat - essentially manage the issue.

Otherwise it needs more major work to decoke the engine - provided the bores aren't damaged. If they are damaged then you need a new block as I don't believe you can successfully rebore that engine.

If you search for the issue against the Prius, which uses the same engine, you will find more info as the number of those sold is much larger and hence more cars with the problem.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It's a worldwide common issue, although not seen as much in the UK. There are two issues, one is the EGR can become blocked, the other, which is likely your mate's issue, is the piston rings which get coked up, cannot rotate and cannot drain oil correctly. It ultimately wears the cylinder bores so even if you free the rings it will still consume oil. It's a design issue that has affected several engines - my son's 2012 1.3 Yaris suffers the same issue - possibly because the previous owner didn't do regular oil changes with quality oil.

In 2014/15, Toyota fixed the issue with resigned pistons and oil control rings which have larger holes and different tension.

He could try using engine flush before each oil change, and possibly move to 5W30 oil which may help consumption but will increase petrol usage somewhat - essentially manage the issue.

Otherwise it needs more major work to decoke the engine - provided the bores aren't damaged. If they are damaged then you need a new block as I don't believe you can successfully rebore that engine.

If you search for the issue against the Prius, which uses the same engine, you will find more info as the number of those sold is much larger and hence more cars with the problem.

Thanks Colin.  I’m finding stuff on the subject and it’s becoming apparent.  At one time I would have pulled it all apart but those days are gone so I’ll feed it back.  Once an engine gets to that state, it’s usually beyond recovery without major surgery to get the carbon out so prevention is better than cure with regular oil changes and good quality fuel.  Cheers Colin.  

16 hours ago, Don C said:

Hi folks. 

Got a mate with a 1.8 CT on an 11 plate with pushing 100k on it.  He’s had it a long time but for the last couple of years it’s started using about 2 litres per 1000 miles of proper 0/20 oil.  No leaks or smoke.  Before I delve into it, is this a common issue on this engine?  A search is bringing up anything but useful information.   

Take a look at Terraclean, I had my XKR done a few years ago and it definitely lowered my emissions for the MOT. 

7 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Take a look at Terraclean, I had my XKR done a few years ago and it definitely lowered my emissions for the MOT. 

I think terraclean is more for carbon fouling Phil.  This is more likely to be inside the engine.  I’ll pass it on.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links