Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

FUEL ECONOMY

I've now had my new to me 2018  Lexus ct200 for a month, overall I'm very pleased with the Car this suits me well, so glad I did not take any heed of the motoring experts that like to condemn this Car, having just driven my first 260mls in it, the Car says I'm getting 43MPH, on a brim to brim it works out closer to 40MPG after a 100ml round trip on rural and part dual carriageway roads the mph got up to 48MPG, the rest has been town driving mostly short trips, my friend has the Corolla with the same drivetrain and he gets 54MPG, I looked at it on his dash.

I am an Old Bar Steward in my 72nd year and tend to drive with a light right foot, so I expected my MPH to be closer to 50 than 40? I did think a Hybrid would give better mileage to me on my mostly town driving? however it does give me slightly better mileage than my previous Car a 1.3ltr Yaris which was gutless and terrible over speed bumps, I really hated this Car, these two Cars are at the opposite ends of the scale.

I've read so many positive owners reviews on the Lexus ct200 with most saying the experts are all wrong about this model and I now have every reason the believe this, however most owners tend to say their MPH is close to low to mid 50's, I have every reason to believe my Car is running well, I'm just thinking as I write this maybe I should check the air filter.

Has anyone any other thoughts on this?

Thanks

Dave 

1 hour ago, Daft Dave said:

Has anyone any other thoughts on this?

Your mpg should improve as you get use to driving a hybrid. Also as the weather warms up the petrol engine will cut out more as it isn't needed to keep the cabin warm.

The only thing worth checking is after a journey, place your hands near the wheels/brakes (don't actual touch them) to see if one feels hotter than the rest - that indicates a sticking calliper which will cause some drag and affect your economy.

It is unlikely you will match your friend's Corolla - its drivetrain is derived from the Prius series IV whereas the CT is from the Prius series III. It's an evolution of the same engine and transmission but there are changes that contribute up to 15% improvement in economy.

7 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Your mpg should improve as you get use to driving a hybrid. Also as the weather warms up the petrol engine will cut out more as it isn't needed to keep the cabin warm.

The only thing worth checking is after a journey, place your hands near the wheels/brakes (don't actual touch them) to see if one feels hotter than the rest - that indicates a sticking calliper which will cause some drag and affect your economy.

It is unlikely you will match your friend's Corolla - its drivetrain is derived from the Prius series IV whereas the CT is from the Prius series III. It's an evolution of the same engine and transmission but there are changes that contribute up to 15% improvement in economy.

7 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Worth trying Thanks I had never thought on that.

Having had many large Gas Guzzling cars in my time I am used to going light on acceleration and run in as high a gear as possible, slowly coasting up to a red light hoping for it to change just before I get there, getting into 5th gear as soon as I was close to 30mph trying to keep the Rev counter at less or close to 1500rpm. I would have thought this style of driving to be well suited to a Hybrid?

I had narrowed my choice of Cars down to two, one a 2019 Corolla slightly more expensive and this 2018 Lexus, both had the same mileage, it was a no brainer to me the Corolla is just Fecking ugly, even if it is more fuel efficient I'm still happy to have chosen the Lexus, Btw the insurance group for the Lexus is 17e and for the Corolla 19e costing me £50 more to insure, strange though it may seem a 2016 Lexus is group 20e? costing me around £60 more.

I've had my 2015 ct for 6 weeks now,  48k. Done about 1200 miles. The computer says I'm doing about 46 mpg, brim to brim worked out at 44, mostly town driving.

From what I've seen on forums that seems typical. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Daft Dave said:

I would have thought this style of driving to be well suited to a Hybrid?

In addition to driving smoothly there are two things that may help.

Firstly, accelerate up to speed, say 30 mph, then come off the throttle so the EV light comes on and then lightly press the accelerator again to maintain your speed without forcing the petrol engine to start up again. This makes use of electrical running more than if you just kept your foot constantly down.

Secondly, when braking glance at the energy meter and watch the meter go into the charge area - don’t let it get to the end and stop because at this point the mechanical brake start supplying additional braking effort - you want to brake gently where possible so all braking is done via electrical energy recovery. 

• Thanks 2

I think my best trip in winter is 53mpg and in Summer around 60mpg. I get a lot of on Battery in my area though and with the M42 close by a lot of petrol cruising. I do like to put it in Sport mode quite often and give it a bit of zip lol!

I have never been big on bothering about car MPG to be fair. I have mostly gone for high performance vehicles V8, V12 and fast motor bikes so economy and insurance costs never enters into the equation 😅

Bit sad in a way that future generations will no longer experience the joy of the noise and the throb a 5 litre petrol firing up makes. I go out front now at 7am and its like a singer sewing machine factory in full swing 😆

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links