Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What lights are these?

Hi all 

I recently purchased this a few weeks ago, bit of a project with lots of niggling things to fix and each niggle seems a battle. I’m a life long IS200 + IS300 owner, a self taught driveway tinkler.. 

My latest challenge is getting these lights working correctly. On the O/S the DRL which runs along the base of the light has failed (but there are leds on the side part which still operate). On the N/S the low beam bulb has failed. From what I have found so far is these could be ‘casa’ lights, but no real idea and I can’t find anything like these on uk sites. 

So, I go to pull the N/S low beam bulb and there isn’t any bulb there, just a wire with a single wire connector and the metal spring clip. I buy H1 bulb and go to fit but it just fell into the low beam lense housing, I managed to fish it out after a few choice words. I then did what I should have done before and opened the O/S to check the bulb. I undid the spring clips and it came out with what looks like a H1 metal base adapter on the glass side and a C washer or a washer with a cut in it (to allow it to go over the wires) on the connector side of the bulb. The single wire is hard wired (by hand) to the bulb connection, the build only operates when secured in the housing.

I have found some steel M16 washers and have an old H7 adapter which I tried to fit this N/S bulb but nothing is allowing me to get the spring clips to hold the bulb. 

Can anyone help me please before I pull the front bumper (which will need doing anyway for further repairs, but not MOT risk at the moment) I have 2 months left.. 

these are after market lights right?

do I have the right low beam bulb with the H1? 

what/how/where do I get adapters that secure it? (Gone all through eBay and Amazon)

Is the DRL board on the O/S repairable? I don’t think that would cause an MOT failure would it?

sorry it’s so wordy but thank you for taking the time to read

Martin 

IMG_1829.png

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

IMG_1953.jpeg

IMG_1952.jpeg

Really hard to tell, some VLAND wanabe cheapo lights, I would consider them disposable and doubt they could be fixed... or rather how much time and money it would require to figure out what they need. I guess doable with some of electrical knowledge, maybe some corroded or burn cable inside. That said these chinese lights are likely sealed (although not much of criticisms as even factory lights are often sealed nowadays), so there is no nice way of opening them-up, fixing and then putting them back together. And if you need to smash one with the stone to get to the point that needs fixing, then they become rather disposable.

From factory these comes with H11 halogen bulbs, what is fitted to your lights is anyone's guess and I really don't know what you would need adapting to what. From what you have described the current set-up on yours sounds like a little bit of fire hazards and at very least good set-up to have blinker fluid refilled on rainy day, which isn't ideal if you decide to drive not at night and in the rain. 

As for MOT - it may or may not be an issue. In theory it should not be an issue because they should not check DLR for cars made before 2018 March (I always thought it was legal requirement from 2012, but seems like not?!), however it is really your luck. I can easily see it coming as advisory on the basis of "should work if fitted". Obviously, you can then appeal the MOT etc. but you don't want to be dealing with it, so easier would be just to fit correct headlights and forget about these, at least that is what I would do (although that is coming from aftermarket headlights hater, so take it with pinch of salt). 

My worry would be "position lights", as usually for cars with DLR, the DLR also acts as position light. As such you may fail on "position light not switchable/does not work". That is unless these have separate position light which you can turn on and off, then you should be fine.

Here is excerpt from MOT procedure:

Daytime running lamps
You only need to inspect daytime running lamps (DRLs) if they’re fitted as original equipment to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018.

Defect    Category
(a) Lamp:

(i) multiple light source up to a half not functioning
(ii) missing, inoperative or in the case of a multiple light source more than a half not functioning    

Minor
Major
(b) Defective lens    Major
(c) Lamp:

(i) not securely attached
(ii) likely to become detached    

Minor
Major

4.2.2. Switching
It must be possible to switch on the position lamps from the driver’s seat with a single operation of the switch. The position lamps must light up at the same time as the registration plate lamps and any end-outline marker lamps where they are fitted.

Some vehicles have position lamps that come on automatically when the engine is running.

Daytime running lamps (DRLs) or headlamps may function as front position lamps. If the DRLs function as front position lamps, they may or may not dim when rear position lamps are switched on and may dim or turn off when headlamps are switched on.

The front position lamps may turn off when the headlamps or front fog lamps are switched on. If position lamps are combined with direction indicators, position lamps may or may not switch off when the relevant direction indicator is flashing.

The front and rear position lamps must light up at the same time with the end-outline marker lamps where they are fitted.

You only need to inspect daytime running lamps (DRLs) if they’re fitted as original equipment to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018.

DRLs must switch on and off when the engine is switched on and off.

Thank you Linas, more sense and logic in your paragraphs than I can find anywhere else. I appreciate you taking the time to write and provide all the advice and guidance above. Swapping out the lights in full makes total sense not only for my wallet and growing unwanted bulb collection but also my sanity! 

I will follow your advice, once I get it back from the garage (currently in surgery for a misfire C4) I will pull the bumper and hope the main wiring loom connection is still in good order and then get replacements ordered. 

Thank you for being helpful, this is exactly what I needed and have posted for help in a number of forums and only you have taken the time to help. Very grateful indeed 

kindest regards Martin 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links