Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fan = drop in range

Hello

I have noticed that using the fan causes the same drop in the range figure as using A/C.

Would anybody have an idea how to get the outside air at outside temperature into the cabin?

I turned the NanoeX off, in-cabin air circulation “off and on” but the range drops by quite a margin.

I cannot find anything in the manual that mentions this issue.

Thank you

Tom

The fan will not operate on its own. I have asked Customer Service and the dealer many times how the fan can be used on its own and they say it can’t.  I tried changing the setting to ‘not turn on the aircon with Auto’ and it made no difference. I asked CS why have this option if when turning on the fan it operates the aircon and they couldn’t provide an answer. I think the only way to get outside air in under a bit of pressure is to open a window !

In my car it is no longer a problem as I am one of the lucky ones with the update. I have the air / heating on Eco (not the drive) and so the range only drops about 6 miles out of 220 which is neither here nor there. It used to drop from 200 to 160 which was a major concern, hence me originally badgering the dealer and Customer Service for an answer. 

Hi Tom

I share your pain on this issue, I understand that if we use AC Cooling the range of course will be compromised as the compressor uses a fair amount of energy, mine drops off about 40 miles off a full charge range. Like you I would like to be able to vent the car with normal outside air at the ambient temperature, however the system I believe is inadequate as it is unable to do so, and you will have noticed as soon as you turn on the fans the range plummets. So this also tells me that the published range figures are incorrect because the car would have to be in its normal state for testing, so who on earth can drive a car without any fresh air to ventilate the car??

I have raise the issue with Lexus but received a fob off response.

A premium brand car should be able function correctly, most other cars when you turn the AC off you can still have fresh air entering without the system turning the AC back on!!!

Please sort it out Lexus I have been complaining about this frustrating situation for months and this adds to range anxiety. 😠

I have been asking about the software update also, not happened yet.

Phil

Gadget - in terms of the update, when did you get your car and does it have a HUD ?
I escalated my numerous issues to the MD of Lexus UK and even then nobody could explain why you have an option to turn off the a/c when selecting Auto but it doesn’t do anything. 

I was really irritated that to de-mist the windows I would see the range plummet. I tried selecting the windscreen defrost button, which turns on Auto and then turn Auto off - didn’t do anything. 

I wouldn’t rely on this myself, but I was told that the update didn’t necessarily increase the range when the a/c or heating was on - it just displays a less pessimistic range. I can’t believe that is the case as they have withdrawn the update as it trashes the HUD (meaning a total removal of the dash etc) which can’t be the case if it all it did was tweak the displayed range. John on here has seen his consumption improve dramatically since the update. In my case, driving on mainly high speed runs my Total Average is 3.3 miles / kw with the heating / aircon as per a petrol car - it was about 2.7 miles / kw before. 

I complained about the fact that it took ages for any real heat to come on in winter but then found out all EV’s suffer with this as they don’t have an engine to draw it from ! I always pre-heat the car at home but not when out and about.  

35 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

I complained about the fact that it took ages for any real heat to come on in winter but then found out all EV’s suffer with this as they don’t have an engine to draw it from ! I always pre-heat the car at home but not when out and about.  

Heat comes pretty quickly on my Leaf

Wivenhoe - I took delivery of mine at the end of June last year so have been unhappily been living with this AC/Range/Display issue since then, I was booked in to have the software update to hopefully resolve the AC/Range and Battery level display function but alas on the morning I was due to go in I received a phone call to say the update had been pulled - so still waiting despite calls to dealer and Customer Service. I do have a HUD display but don't understand what the issue is because all new RZ450e`s sold now are already with the latest version - so why not mine? Regarding heating performance I found that mine responded quicker if I had the drive mode on normal and not economy.

I think the economy drive mode switches off heating or aircon, but I may be wrong.

When did they pull the update ?  Your dealer was well behind others if they only fairly recently offered the update. Mine was updated mid Feb - it’s a May 23 car. 
Regards the new cars vs previously delivered cars update, last year new cars were being delivered from about Sept with the update but existing had to wait until about Feb - I think I was one of the first as the dealer sorted it as soon as it was available - maybe me dealing with the MD might have helped. 
I hope you get the update soon as it really is quite a different car range wise. 

Apologiesif you seen this before, but have you registered with Lexus Reserve yet ? They do seem to be getting that right, I’ve got a RX450h for 10 days in August to go to Jersey in (there is only 2 Ultra fast chargers on the entire island). I even have the registration to confirm the ferry and this will leave me with another 33 days of free alternative cars over the next 2.5 years. 

11 hours ago, wivenhoe said:

I think the economy drive mode switches off heating or aircon, but I may be wrong.

Bob, I keep mine in eco drive mode all the time and the ac/heating still works but in reduced mode. I went into normal mode yesterday to try it which is a rare occurrence for me and the range dropped by 7 miles (142 showing before I switched) but I did notice the aircon got a bit cooler as it was a hot day. Switching back to eco mode and the range went back up

Why don't you consider a car with a proper engine...no more hand wringing about a few extra miles,and less depreciation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidCM said:

Why don't you consider a car with a proper engine...no more hand wringing about a few extra miles,and less depreciation.

Well, from my point of view that is easy. An increasing number of councils across the Country are either making it difficult  for non ev's to drive in city or town centres or banning them all together. I expect this to get worse once Miliband is in charge.  In my local city, they want all non ev's to park out of town ( 4 miles away) and catch the bus in which for me at my age, I don't want to lug shopping back on a bus. I would rather park in the centre. As from, next January this will be compulsory. 

Whether we like it or not I am sure the next Government will make it more difficult and expensive to drive non ev's  because we have to save the world from our less than 1% emissions. So for me it's a no brainer and to be honest, it will make my life easier and to me ev's to me are nicer to drive.

Before I get shot down, it's my opinion and others will disagree. My disagreement with Lexus is nothing to do with depreciation just that they shouldn't have sold the car without the updates and all the other problems I have had.

Wivenhoe- Mine was initially booked in for the update in Feb too, but pulled on the day of appointment, spoke to dealer and Customer Service this week but still no idea when I will get it -really frustrating.

I presume your Takumi has a HUD and the update has worked ok for you?

Economy mode alters the response parameters for maintaining the set temperature - more buffered. Range mode actually switches off the heating system as well as affecting the 4 wheel drive performance.

I have heard about Lexus Reserve, sounds like a good offering.

27 minutes ago, Gadget Man said:

Wivenhoe- Mine was initially booked in for the update in Feb too, but pulled on the day of appointment, spoke to dealer and Customer Service this week but still no idea when I will get it -really frustrating.

I presume your Takumi has a HUD and the update has worked ok for you?

Economy mode alters the response parameters for maintaining the set temperature - more buffered. Range mode actually switches off the heating system as well as affecting the 4 wheel drive performance.

I have heard about Lexus Reserve, sounds like a good offering.

My software update was done in early February as well as other work. Along with Bob, we were pushing Lexus for this update since last year and I am very pleased with the result which has  significantly improved the range. I have the Takumi and have had no issues -touch wood- and I hope it stays that way. 

Apologies, I was mixing Range mode up with Eco. My defence is I usually use Sport or Normal never Range.

Yes, like John I have a HUD. Seems like he and I got the update just in time. 

I have just read the announcement in the other post regards the 300e. That was announced in the States some time ago. With it being a single motor fwd it gets very close to the Toyota BZ - they have made the distinction even less by announcing an Urban spec which is a cut down spec compared to the Premium RZ. I wonder what the pricing premium for the Lexus will be.

Toyota / Lexus seem to now have a strategy where they have essentially the same car but marketed by the two marques - Toyota Yaris Cross = Lexus LBX & Toyota BZ = Lexus RZ 300e 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links