Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motor Cyclist 1 - Wing Mirror 0

mcwatson

i always go to the front. wait for the light's to change pull away look in mirrors and don't even see a car so holding up cars is a falicy maybe kids on scooters but they are not motorbikes.

i don't think there are many car's on the road that could reach 60mph as quick as my bike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness I think it does have some thing todo with the fastest. If I don't go to the front of the que then I'm only going to have to over take the cars after so it is safer to go to the front :winky:

Full beem on when filtering through static traffic I think is fine, all your doing is trying to make people more away that you are coming up the middle. 

So you're not driving in a lane, being a danger to yourself and others and adding to the stress of their drive so it's acceptable to do something dangerous - blind them with your full beam to let them know that your doing something dangerous - not being in a lane?

Put it another way, you are on a narrow lane following a tractor pulling a trailer, you would expect that the tractor would pull over and let you pass as you are not limited to his speed.

Unlike tractors the cars are likely to be driving at the speed limit. Why then do you need to overtake, especially in 30mph build up areas?

Full beem on when filtering through static traffic I think is fine, all your doing is trying to make people more away that you are coming up the middle. 

So you're not driving in a lane, being a danger to yourself and others and adding to the stress of their drive so it's acceptable to do something dangerous - blind them with your full beam to let them know that your doing something dangerous - not being in a lane?

How am I being a danger to any one else??? I am driving in a lane just can't decide which one! :P

If you not moving in static traffic how can there be much risk? you can't change lanes as no one is moving the only risk is if you open up the door which your not allowed to do on a motor way!!!

If you find high beem "blinding" in the mirror don't look so long at the lights, full beem goes on so it attracts the other drivers attention not to put you into a trance so you keep looking at it

I started this topic and I think that judging by the comments posted, its clear who are true bikers at heart and those that are not as opinions vary. Ultimately, there are good and sensible bikers out there along with those who are keen to risk their lives as there are good and sensible car drivers but again, there are those who wish to risk their lives. As only a car driver, I've always given respect to bikers however I'm gradually losing that respect both because of the incident that started this topic and even upto this morning where I was travelling in the far left hand lane approaching a junction to turn off and despite being in a moving queue of traffic, a biker thought it right to absolutely fly down the inside (on the bit between the hardshoulder and the far right lane) and then just as the traffic was moving off the junction, he whipped between two cars and proceeded up the right hand side of the traffic. Had someone moved off the road any earlier, he would have been knocked off and to be honest, I would have stopped to express my anger at him and then awaited the police to report him for being a tw*t. But as I say, as with all methods of road use, some are better and some are poor. There will never be a right answer for bikes versus cars as each have their own rules (official or unofficial)!!!

I agree with that and the biker like this morning is probably just an idiot but everyone is differnt, I'm not a dangerous bike rider but I'm not slow either, but I'm sure many would say that If i'm fast I must be dangerous....................

How am I being a danger to any one else???

If you cause an accident then there is always a chance that someone else is going to get hurt. eg crashing while swerving round your mangled body when you get hit filtering on a motorway at speed. OK so being a motorbike the chances are that it'll just be you and my only hassle will be damage to my car and months of stress trying to get it repaired, prove fault and claim off your insurance. My life's stressful enough without that kinda hassle though thanks.

If you not moving in static traffic how can there be much risk?

I guess less risk than doing 90mph between lanes 2 and 3 on the motorway when the traffic is moving...

QUOTE(If you cause an accident then there is always a chance that someone else is going to get hurt. eg crashing while swerving round your mangled body when you get hit filtering on a motorway at speed. OK so being a motorbike the chances are that it'll just be you and my only hassle will be damage to my car and months of stress trying to get it repaired @ prove fault and claim off your insurance. My life's stressful enough without that kinda hassle though thanks.

Same as if a car cause an accedient surely?

[quote=I guess less risk than doing 90mph between lanes 2 and 3 on the motorway when the traffic is moving...

[right)

[snapback+-->
QUOTE(I guess less risk than doing 90mph between lanes 2 and 3 on the motorway when the traffic is moving...

[right-->

QUOTE(If you cause an accident then there is always a chance that someone else is going to get hurt. eg crashing while swerving round your mangled body when you get hit filtering on a motorway at speed. OK so being a motorbike the chances are that it'll just be you and my only hassle will be damage to my car and months of stress trying to get it repaired @ prove fault and claim off your insurance. My life's stressful enough without that kinda hassle though thanks.

Same as if a car cause an accedient surely?

[quote=I guess less risk than doing 90mph between lanes 2 and 3 on the motorway when the traffic is moving...

[right)

[snapback)

Thats a differnt kettle of fish though, not what I'm talking about

Unlike tractors the cars are likely to be driving at the speed limit.  Why then do you need to overtake, especially in 30mph build up areas?

If your going to quote at least get your facts right.

I never said I filtered at excessive speeds, the only thing I did confirm was that if there was a queue of traffic at lights/junctions then I'd often filter past them and get to the front.

You will also have to clarify when I said I would overtake you, if you were going 30 in a 30 limit

The people I ride with strictly stick to 30/40/50 limits, though we do make progress in the NSL areas :winky: . It quite funny to see all the cars we have just passed in the NSL getting impatient when we drop to 30 as we get in to a village, as they would often be going 50 in a 60 and still be doing 45 in a 30.

On motorways if the traffic is flowing at above 60 I will seldom filter, I'm more likely to be simply "under taking" as the inside lane will be clear and the outside two will be full of cars nose to tail. I'll often pass cars in the double figures before I reach something I need to actually overtake.

Just like car drivers, there are good and bad motorcyclists, the big difference is that motorcyclists killing others is fairly rare compared with car drivers doing the same.

Cool. Sorry, wasn't a personal comment. Glad to hear your riding is better than the majority of bikers.

Like anything which involves performanve vehicles it does attract the odd idiot.

Certainly the people I associate with tend to be very good in 30/40/50, though I will ignore these if they make no sense. Our local council recently reduced a 70mph to a 40 mph - now in 1 direction you can see the logic as they have opened a park and ride, on that side but why is the otherside restricted too?

However the majority of riders are very good and tend to have excellent road craft skills. I will often know a car is going to do something stupid before the driver does :duh: You develop a 6th sence for such things.

Didn't stop the idiot from swerving out to overtake the car in front when I was already overtaking him, hitting me last year :angry: Did manage to stay on, though he snapped my left peg clean off :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links