Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Housekeeping Job

JMRussell

Probably this would be too much admin work but would it be possible to merge many of the topics that are started on essentially the same topic. Take for instance all the threads running/closed on Sat Nav. Most people don't go back pages looking for topic headings so we keep starting new threads.

Originally posted by Steve

There are loads of mods on this forum that should be doing this.

Thank you for pointing this out

Actually guys - I gotta disagree here (sorry Steve) - I don't think that we should do this (and I'm sure we're not).

While it'd be nice to have a fully indexed and catalogued set of threads, in doing so we would dramatically reduce (a) the number of threads on the site and (B) the individuality of those threads.

I could easily merge a dozen threads about SatNav into one - but whose would I keep and whose would I delete??

I think that the volume and disparity of threads here is what keeps the club interesting and relevant to its members. If we merged all the ones that were the same, people would not feel that they own the content and this forum would simply be a database of facts.

People want to feel that they "own"their thread, and that's the reason we get duplicates - and that's why we have a "search" function!!

If you just want a series of facts - go buy a workshop manual!!

Originally posted by Rodders_UK
Originally posted by Steve

There are loads of mods on this forum that should be doing this.

Thank you for pointing this out

Actually guys - I gotta disagree here (sorry Steve) - I don't think that we should do this (and I'm sure we're not).

While it'd be nice to have a fully indexed and catalogued set of threads, in doing so we would dramatically reduce (a) the number of threads on the site and (B) the individuality of those threads.

I could easily merge a dozen threads about SatNav into one - but whose would I keep and whose would I delete??

I think that the volume and disparity of threads here is what keeps the club interesting and relevant to its members. If we merged all the ones that were the same, people would not feel that they own the content and this forum would simply be a database of facts.

People want to feel that they "own"their thread, and that's the reason we get duplicates - and that's why we have a "search" function!!

If you just want a series of facts - go buy a workshop manual!!

I can actually go with either view maybe we could index thread titles in some way though I like the ageing basis as well. Maybe something like the old amazon feedback like -' other people who have looked at this have looked at **** to'.

Originally posted by GRiM

Fully with the Roddz, on this one!!

Whatever you do, don't, start merging and editing people's posts.

I'm all for a set of FAQ's on the most common topics etc, but to change or delete posts etc, removes the personality, individuality uniqueness and humour from the site.

It's a resource of the exchange of information and ideas. Both historical and current.

Dinny lose that!

Well said that man!:yes:

Originally posted by GRiM

Fully with the Roddz, on this one!!

Whatever you do, don't, start merging and editing people's posts.

I'm all for a set of FAQ's on the most common topics etc, but to change or delete posts etc, removes the personality, individuality uniqueness and humour from the site.

It's a resource of the exchange of information and ideas. Both historical and current.

Dinny lose that!

No-one was planning to edit anyone's posts!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links