Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heated Windscreen?

yatesy

Thanks Matt

I've had the car for a year and never knew about the heated windscreen until last Friday when I was contacted by Autoglass asking about a heated or unheated screen. I had the new windscreen fitted today and we found the connector.

So now Ive hopefully managed to source a new rear view mirror and I'll let you know what happens.

Murphybear

Not to my recollection, no. I don't ever remember seeing heating terminals on any Renault screen.

The "bottom heater", as we call it (or wiper heater if you like) is very common on Japanese cars; Lexus, Toyota, Mitsubishi mainly. The Jags were funny cars; the S type had about 14 different screens for it, and the X Type about 16. Different combinations of rain sensor, top tint, fully heated, bottom heated, mirror boss position, sensor position, mirror boss type, etc etc.

bottom heater is a better word as you can actually buy heated wipers lol.

hmm well some renaults blue a blueish tint to the front screen and its a heated screen as far as i know, different technology to Fords im guessing

That blueish tint is a solar coating. There's different types of it, and generally the Renaults use the blueish, purplish tint one. All that is, is the laminate between the glass is clear, and there's a solar reflective tint applied between the glass, on the inside, to block UV rays. Trouble is, it also blocks sat nav GPS signals too, so if you look at the Clio's (mk2 mainly) you'll notice a rectangle "cut out" at the bottom middle.

Ford, and several others, also do solar screens, but differently. Theirs looks normal green, or blue for the Titanium models, where the solar blocking stuff is part of the actual tinted laminate, and some Peugeots have whats called "clear coated" - which like the Renaults is a clear tint screen, and the solar reflector coating is applied to the outside of the glass; like a coating, not a film.

But the solar tinting is not heated.

Haha I actually read all that and found it interesting. I'm the same, I like useless facts that I will probably never have to use. I don't know why I retain this information either.

I have had fords with heated screens, excellent option to have. I notice the one on my IS isn't labelled as heated screen, but if you leave it on it gradually defrosts the entire screen working it's way up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links