Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Battery? Remote Central Locking Not Working!

hongsit

Two issues here really, or it could be just one....

First of all, I think my Battery is near the end of its life, however, the meter on the dash reads about 9 or 10v coming from the batt. Does this mean the Battery is ok?

Anyway, i was adjusting my lights the other day, and left the dipped lights on for about 20mins. when trying to start the car it was just completed flat. However, after a few times in trying it started, and has been ok, until this evening when it seemed it had a hard time starting, but it still started. Before all this I tried unlocking my car in the usual manner via the remote and it wouldnt open!! tried over and over and it still wouldnt open, until i put the key in the lock and press the unlock key from there. However, i still couldnt lock it.

Drove off, and when i reached my desitination it still wouldnt lock. Locked it manually, came back to the car and then tried to open the car again, no luck. Again, only unlocked when the key was actually in the lock and I pressed the unlock button.

However, once i got home, the remote was fine, locked and unlocked.

The questions is, when a Battery is flat to the state when it just ticks over once, should I not be able to start the car, no matter how many times i tried?

and, if the Battery is nearly flat does it have an effect on the remote locking?

NOte, I can still start the car, so Battery still has some life i guess.

I have seen the car about loosing memory on the keys, but it currently does work, can it suddenly regain its memory? Also, the car was at two different places with the same problem, so i guess i can rule out interference.

Sorry for long post.

I would say you need a new Battery but you didn't say how far you drove the car after you flattened the Battery, you need to drive at least 20 minutes, ideally not stop start stuff, difficult in london I suppose.9-10volts will let some things work but not high current draw stuff. Most garages will try and sell you a new Battery and one garage I worked at used to use a "tester" that mullers them if they're borderline.Try and charge it up if you can before you buy a new one.Even a good Battery would show these symptoms if you had drained it and not driven enough.

Just after some advice!!!

I went to get the Battery in my key changed this morning but was informed by a battery/watch repairer he didn't want to touch it as there is an 15 second window to change the Battery and if he exceeds this time the code for the key will be wiped!

To me this sounds like rubbish but he insisted on not changing the Battery.

I am struggling to lock & unlock my car at the moment, it takes about 20 seconds of constant button pressing to do it. My spare has never worked from the day I bought the car so I need to get this changed as well.

I just wondering do Lexus need to change the Battery or can anybody do it??? I presume the latter but would like conformation.

Cheers and thanks for the advice!

I just wondering do Lexus need to change the battery or can anybody do it??? I presume the latter but would like conformation.

Cheers and thanks for the advice!

Instructions are in the owners manual so Lexus don't have an issue with owners performing that level of maintenance. I always ask for the batteries to be changed on all of my keys each year when I get the vehicle serviced. About £5 for 3 batteries and no labour, much less hassle.

Just after some advice!!!

I went to get the battery in my key changed this morning but was informed by a battery/watch repairer he didn't want to touch it as there is an 15 second window to change the battery and if he exceeds this time the code for the key will be wiped!

To me this sounds like rubbish but he insisted on not changing the battery.

talking complete BS i would change the batteries in the keyfobs and have a look at the main car Battery - forget what it says on the little Battery window. the Battery can be knacked but still show a blue window, look for one the same size but try and get a higher Ah Battery as the standard one is only 45Ah.

I would say you need a new battery but you didn't say how far you drove the car after you flattened the battery, you need to drive at least 20 minutes, ideally not stop start stuff, difficult in london I suppose.9-10volts will let some things work but not high current draw stuff.  Most garages will try and sell you a new battery and one garage I worked at used to use a "tester" that mullers them if they're borderline.Try and charge it up if you can before you buy a new one.Even a good battery would show these symptoms if you had drained it and not driven enough.

When the Battery went flat and i eventually started it, i drove it from Croydon to brighton, and didnt have a problem.

What confuses me, if it went flat, i thought it would stay flat until i charged it up? Y would it suddenly start up?

When the battery went flat and i eventually started it, i drove it from Croydon to brighton, and didnt have a problem.

Yeah, that would be long enough to charge up a good Battery, assuming it wasn't raining, at night, with a mega ICE install turned up to the max ( :blush: You have to ask)

What confuses me, if it went flat, i thought it would stay flat until i charged it up? Y would it suddenly start up?
If you were adjusting the lights is there a chance you knocked one of the Battery terminals?, That could cause an intermittent charge (like you were getting). It's worth checking to see if they're tight before you buy a new Battery.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links