Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Wobble

After having my 17" aftermarket alloy wheels for about 2 months i've now noticed

a problem possibly with wheel balancing.

The problem is that when the car is doing around 50mph the steering wheel starts to wobble from side to side. Under 40mph and over 60mph it is fine. Also the car has started to very slightly pull to the left.

I've not hit anything with the car / wheels or anything like that. I noticed on some wheels, where the weights have been put on, some have been stuck on on top of the others. Is it possible that when i've been scrubbing my alloys with a brush, i've knocked one or some of these weights off? Could this be the problem?

Is it a major problem that needs sorting asap? As my car is being lowered on Wednesday and i could ask them to check the wheel balancing. If they have the equipment. Or i could wait a few weeks for when i hopefully get a full check done after the springs have bedded in.

Thanks for any help

Regards

Adie

How far under 40mph? 10/ 20 / 30 need to know.

The wobble only starts around 45mph to 55mph

Stacking weights is not un-common, how are the front tyres wearing?

Hardly any wear on them at all. They've only done about 800 miles. Could it be that i've knocked some weights off and this would cause it?

How far under 40mph? 10/ 20 / 30 need to know.

The wobble only starts around 45mph to 55mph

Stacking weights is not un-common, how are the front tyres wearing?

Hardly any wear on them at all. They've only done about 800 miles. Could it be that i've knocked some weights off and this would cause it?

If all was well when the tyres were fitted then a lost weight must be assumed as the criminal, wheel balance has specific traits 40/ 60 mph for vibration is home...

Can the problem wait a few weeks untill i get a full geometery done after i've had my springs a couple of weeks?

Thats up to you. on a scale of importance wheel balance is very low, new springs geometry high.

Thanks Tony for your help. Oh and do you open Saturdays? :blush:

Cheers,

Adie

Can the problem wait a few weeks untill i get a full geometery done after i've had my springs a couple of weeks?

Thats up to you. on a scale of importance wheel balance is very low, new springs geometry high.

Thanks Tony for your help. Oh and do you open Saturdays? :blush:

Cheers,

Adie

Yes, if you need help in this area i need to book you in? go to wheels-inmotion.co.uk or wheels-inmotion@ntlworld.com or phone 01923 234666, ask for tony bones, total cost 4x wheel balance LOC = £15 inc vat, so you can see this is not a "make a living" scam....the company i work within is STS Stapletons Watford.

Ok mate thanks. I want to book it in for a full geometery also, cos i get the springs fitted wednesday. Shall i give it a couple of weeks for them to settle?

Thanks

Adie

What are you having done on wednesday? is it a fixed drop or adjustable suspension.

Ok mate thanks. I want to book it in for a full geometery also, cos i get the springs fitted wednesday. Shall i give it a couple of weeks for them to settle?

Thanks

Adie

What are you having done on wednesday? is it a fixed drop or adjustable suspension.

This is probably slightly off-topic, but at what speed does torque steer come into play?

Thanks

Adie

I'm having the -30mm eibach springs fitted. So that would be fixed drop.

Thanks

Adie

This is probably slightly off-topic, but at what speed does torque steer come into play?

On application of thrust, and only applicable to FWD with different length drive shafts, the most commen cause is worn engine mounts.

Thanks

Adie

I'm having the -30mm eibach springs fitted. So that would be fixed drop.

Whatever you do you "must"! have the wheel alignment re-set after the drop, since the camber will splay the toe out negative and must be recovered....any good shop would know this? but make sure yourself.

regarding the "settling"...... i dont know for sure? i feel if the metalastic bush on the front struts are not changed then the bush may need to settle, not the coil, change both then 1 mile is all done.

hi can anybody advise me!!!

i have had my lexus Is200 for about 1 week and it suddenly started to have the same steering wheel judder problem mentioned ??

will having the balance checked sort this problem out or replacing the tyres?? please can someone help as i am really pi**ed off at the minute, as this never happened when i took it for a test drive !!!!! please help cheers

mark

hi mate,

does this juddering happen when you brake? if so, then you are probably looking at warped brake discs on the front and you'll have to get new brake discs and pads put on- this is a expensive job, especally at a Lexus dealer.

i have had my lexus Is200 for about 1 week and it suddenly started to have the same steering wheel judder problem mentioned ??

will having the balance checked sort this problem out or replacing the tyres?? please can someone help as i am really pi**ed off at the minute, as this never happened when i took it for a test drive !!!!! please help cheers

mark

mark

Welcome Mark: "Calm down" the LOC members can advise in all areas and support you untill the problem is solved.... lets brake things down a little.

1: does the vibration only happen when you brake

2: is the vibration only at speed

simple questions, loads of help....

thanks for the reply!!!

getting worried now as on the way home the front drivers wheel seemed to be smoking when i stopped. the juddering doesnt seem to start untill 10 mins of driving and probably when i reach over 30 mph not when im breaking. when i got out of the car the wheels seemed to be making a tingling sound. if i stop the car and leave it for a bit it drives away fine for about 10 minutes then starts again!!

hope you can help?!!!

mark

p.s looking at other posts thought it might be the calipers if it is any ideas of how much it might cost to fix cheers

thanks for the reply!!!

getting worried now as on the way home the front drivers wheel seemed to be smoking when i stopped.  the juddering doesnt seem to start untill 10 mins of driving and probably when i reach over 30 mph not when im breaking.  when i got out of the car the wheels seemed to be making a tingling sound.  if i stop the car and leave it for a bit it drives away fine for about 10 minutes then starts again!!

hope you can help?!!!

mark

p.s looking at other posts thought it might be the calipers if it is any ideas of how much it might cost to fix cheers

Sorry! there is a problem with the caliper or the slider. if the caliper is binding then the problem will increase with heat due to the disc getting hot.

YOU MUST NOT DRIVE THE CAR untill this is sorted.....total brake loss can happen.

This is not the end of the world just a bad start, do you have a shop that you can trust! fact is the car may need

1x caliper

1x pads

2x discs

please heed the "dont drive" i know it's a pisser with a new car but this is a could "lose all example"

thanks for the reply!!!

getting worried now as on the way home the front drivers wheel seemed to be smoking when i stopped.  the juddering doesnt seem to start untill 10 mins of driving and probably when i reach over 30 mph not when im breaking.  when i got out of the car the wheels seemed to be making a tingling sound.  if i stop the car and leave it for a bit it drives away fine for about 10 minutes then starts again!!

hope you can help?!!!

mark

Sorry! there is a problem with the caliper or the slider. if the caliper is binding then the problem will increase with heat due to the disc getting hot.

YOU MUST NOT DRIVE THE CAR untill this is sorted.....total brake loss can happen.

This is not the end of the world just a bad start, do you have a shop that you can trust! fact is the car may need

1x caliper

1x pads

2x discs

please heed the "dont drive" i know it's a pisser with a new car but this is a could "lose all example"

hi thanks for that

any ideas of the prices of all of that?????

do you think it will be ok to drive the car to the garage?

will have to find somewhere to help asap!!! why does it have to happen to me?!!

thanks again mark

thanks for the reply!!!

hope you can help?!!!

mark

1x caliper

1x pads

2x discs

hi thanks for that

thanks again mark

which caliper is it you need.................

*edit*

seen you need drivers side, i have a caliper, but i need to check which side it is

Edited by Monster-Mat

thanks for the reply!!!

hope you can help?!!!

mark

1x caliper

1x pads

2x discs

hi thanks for that

thanks again mark

which caliper is it you need.................

*edit*

seen you need drivers side, i have a caliper, but i need to check which side it is

hi as i havent got a clue about cars i could make a guess that it will be on the front drivers but couldnt tell you anymore!! should i still get it checked over at a garage? and can i drive it there?

how much am i lookin at paying for a caliper

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links