Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do i need to look for

Kev

Hi

Im looking at buying my first Lexus an IS200 SE to be specific. What do i need to look for, i have seen a few and theres on a 99 T reg with 90k mile, ex company car type thing. The garage is asking £10,999, is this a fair price and what should i look for on my test drive (Thurs)

Thanks in advance

I reckon you should buy mine. See ad in Buy & Sell forum. Save 3K on new price for a car that is a mere 6 months old with 5k miles on the clock. It's only just run in and in mint cond!. Also has 2.5 years of Manufacturers Warranty left. Tempted?

Check gears 1st to 2nd and onwards and see how smooth the change is, check clutch for smoothness pulling away and gear changing incl reverse.

Test drive and check brakes incl an emergency stop.

Check tyres this will also indicate wheel alignment faults if wear is pronounced on a particular side of tyre.

Check for any leaks i.e. oil, fluids, water.

From what I have read the biggest moans seem to relate to gear changing 1st to 2nd and body paint where some feel that the finish is too soft and as a result may be pitted i.e. bonnet.

Check spare tyre and tools incl jack

Originally posted by Brian Berry

Check gears 1st to 2nd and onwards and see how smooth the change is, check clutch for smoothness pulling away and gear changing incl reverse.

I thought the 1st to 2nd gear change was a 'feature' of the car rather than something to check for and avoid?

Agree about the clutch and checking its smooth. A new clutch and flywheel can be expensive.

Kev,

If I keep a car three years it will See my ar5e for 150,000 miles. what about you. if u buy a 90,000 miler you won't want to be going to the moon and back in it will you?

on the other hand, my gs300 is a 60k motor with brand new feel to it so I don't feel bad about killing it.

My point is, it depends on what ur going to subject the car to in three years as to what probs u can expect. if it does 4 cold starts a day and never drives more that 10 miles per journey u can expect alot more wear than if its started twice a day and driven on a motorway in top gear at "safe" speeds. if ur a taxi driver u'll kill it. if it's for weekends it will last u a life time...

Boy, I'm going on a bit here.. Buy the best u can afford. buy on condition not numberplate. Get it checked out if 10 grand is a lot of money to you.

Other wise just get one as it wont dissapoint.

One last thing. at a round 60k they mine has a 800 quid service. might wanna try and dodge that!

Loz

Well i took a test drive in the above car tonight. Comparing it to a brand new one i test drove 2 weeks ago the feel wasn't much different. The only thing i noticed was: The various pulley underneath the bonnet at the front all seemed a bit rusty and generally looked untidy is this normal.

Apart from that the car was great, Needed a new set of brake pads though.

Im still waiting for someone to buy my old car and then i'll be joining you lot on the Lexus Owners Club

Thanks for the advice :smilegrin:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links