Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

car jerks badly when going from P to D

maneesh

can anyone tell me why going from P to D in 92 LS400 makes the car jerk so hard?

The back passengers feel it really bad, as if somebody has shunted the back bumper at low spped.

Lexus dealer had a look and said nothing wrong with transmission.

Any special technique for doing it smoothly?

Have heard should leave it in R for 5 seconds then move down to D.

Other autos I have driven, have the same jerk but much less noticeable.

Not a problem I get at all. Totally smooth - I just move from one to the other and don't pause at R. Going from R to D is smooth too. If there's no problem with the box, thought would have been the creep setting was set too high or tick over. It is important to have your foot on the brake when you do it - keeps the shift lock off.

I find the same with mine, all I do is just take the foot of the brake a little bit when shifting from P to D or R. Works all the time. I only need to do it first thing in the morning through, not so bad when the car is warm.

no difference between warm and cold.

tickover is 600rpm - no fluctuations.

when this happens, I try and press brake harder to combat the jerk. perhaps I should try releasing some pressure from the brake when going into d.

92 model doesn't have shiftlock - quite dangerous really!

will let you know what happens.

Also, notice it more on level road, when on hills, you don't find any jerk, so perhaps creep related.

Is there something relating to creep I should ask Lexus dealer to check?

When I shift from P to R or D, I get that jerk, if I just release the brake as I'm changing, then the jerk feeeling isn't as bad. It could just the power of the engine kicking into gear. I've already taken mine to Lexus and they said that it was nothing to worry about. I notice it more when going into R than D, lower gear ratio.

My tick over is just over the 600rpm mark, 750 rpm

I tried the new technique and it made a BIG difference.

Now, I slip it into R for 1 or 2 seconds, then put into D. You get a very subdued jerk at R, and another at D, but so much better than a massive jerk when going straight into D.

The only thing is that because reverse lights come on for 1 or 2 seconds, the driver behind might think I'm going to reverse into him!

Hope this helps other owners who have the same problem.

• 12 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links