Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have realised that after the novelty wears off, there is no way I'm going to be jetwashing or handwashing the GS 300 each week. And yet it needs cleaning that often as it has to sit under a big tree with sap and bird stuff. I realise that taking it through an EVO carwash is not the best thing in the world - particularly for swirl marks, but can these be put right by (say) a thorough wax job every six months?

Although it's 5 years old the paintwork is in exceptional condition and it's probably why the Lexus dealership put it on its forecourt. What's people's opinion about the difference in price I might be offered (from Lexus dealer) if I trade it in with perfect paintowrk as opposed to less than perfect. When I trade it in it will probably be around the 9 or 10k trade in value.

Thanks

Mike

PS - on a car wash is it useful to pay the top whack and get the wax and dry done. - I often don't 'cos of the wax on the windscreen.

Why not just take it to a handwash rather than them drive thru jobs?? :) , you dont have to do anything but sit there while others do the job for you and the paint stays swirl free :winky:

Why not just take it to a handwash rather than them drive thru jobs?? :) , you dont have to do anything but sit there while others do the job for you and the paint stays swirl free :winky:

As Shahz says DO NOT take it through a machine wash. If you can't do it yourself,there are plenty of handwash places about. Take it to one of those,usually the same prices and you can see what you are getting. When you go to buy a car one of the first things you do is check out the paintwork. Would you have bought your present car full of swirl marks? Or moved on to the next one.

Most of the machine car wash'es near me are closing down and being replaced by hand wash ones. I wouldn't go near a machine wash. They never come out completely done anyway.

There are plenty of aftermarket polishes out there that will get rid of the swirls if you want to do it yourself. Personally, if i wanted something pretty to look at, i'd buy a picture :lol: , so i stick mine through the car wash and when i come to sell it, I'll have it professionaly valeted which costs about £100 but makes the car look stunning :driving: . The milage I put on cars makes them worth next to noything anyway, regardless of paint finish. :crybaby:

There are plenty of aftermarket polishes out there that will get rid of the swirls if you want to do it yourself.  Personally, if i wanted something pretty to look at, i'd buy a picture  :lol: , so i stick mine through the car wash and when i come to sell it, I'll have it professionaly valeted which costs about £100 but makes the car look stunning  :driving: .  The milage I put on cars makes them worth next to noything anyway, regardless of paint finish. :crybaby:

Thanks Andy - I guess I was hoping someone would say that. I have tried some Autoglym paint restorer on a 3 year old Corsa and it seems to be Ok at removing swirls. I think I'll have to go this route, as I don't know of any handwash facilities in county Durham. My 730i was a brilliant car for someone even though it had 189k miles on - and as you say worth nowt. This time though I think I'm going to put 25k miles on in maybe 18 months then sell it with total mileage of 59k - I think it might still be worth a bit.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links