Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Wobble

I recently purchased a 2003 IS200 , on the test drive i noticed a wobble on the steering wheel and advised them of it.

The car still had it when i collected it (noticed on the way home) and they have had the car back another twice and still failed to fix it.

So far they have ...

1st return .... skimmed offside disc and balanced both front tyres.

2nd return .... skimmed nearside disc and done 4 wheel alignment.

I am going to take it back for the 3rd time but need some suggestions as to what the problem may be.

When the car is driven on a even road at 55-60mph the wheel wobbles back and forth and can be visibly seen when i take my hands of the wheel. If i move the wheel slightly left to right it can be felt more. The car has the 18" alloys and rosso tyres.

Any help will be appreciated

I recently purchased a 2003 IS200 , on the test drive i noticed a wobble on the steering wheel and advised them of it.

The car still had it when i collected it (noticed on the way home) and they have had the car back another twice and still failed to fix it.

So far they have ...

1st return .... skimmed offside disc and balanced both front tyres.

2nd return .... skimmed nearside disc and done 4 wheel alignment.

I am going to take it back for the 3rd time but need some suggestions as to what the problem may be.

When the car is driven on a even road at 55-60mph the wheel wobbles back and forth and can be visibly seen when i take my hands of the wheel. If i move the wheel slightly left to right it can be felt more. The car has the 18" alloys and rosso tyres.

Wobble at around 55-60 would normally indicate a wheel balancing issue and if the disks were warped judder through the steering wheel when you brake.

They may have put the balancing weights slightly out of place especially if they thought that they detracted from the appearance of your wheels...I only suggest this because it happened to me.

I'd suggest a visit to Mr Tony Bones also. Get yourself a full geometery done.

I had the same problem of a wobble at 55 - 60 mph. It turned out that one of my wheels was out 70g. Although the wheel had been balanced, it was done on the centre. This gave uncorrect readings. Tony balanced the wheel using the stud pattern. This gave the exact reading.

link

Tony's explanation

I've had my wheels balanced three times by two different places both mounting on the centre. I've been emailing around local tyre/wheel places and now found one with stud plates they use for closed centre wheels which they'll also use on request. Gonna see if that helps.

If i move the wheel slightly left to right it can be felt more. The car has the 18" alloys and rosso tyres.

I dont like the sound of that. Did they give you the geometry report? if not why not its your car, if yes can we see it :D

Thanks for the replies.

I took the car back in today and a technician came out on a test drive with me, he was convinced it was down to incorrect wheel balancing (wobble was only there between 56-60mph) so they took the car in there and then.

They did a thorough job this time (aparently out by 5g and not placed correctly)and it now drives perfectly :)

Shame it took 4 attempts to solve it but at least its done now

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links