Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3sgte

Hi guys,

I am seriously considering purchasing an Altezza but only on close inspection did I realize the car is an AS200 instead of an RS200. :tsktsk: I do however, have a 3SGTE in my possession. :hehe: I would still buy the Tez if the 3SGTE swap is without too much hassle, so here's what I need to know:

1. Will it mate to the 6-spd manual transmission of the AS200?

2. How much HP can the AS200 manual tranny handle before it breaks? It makes no sense inserting an engine that will kill the tranny! :o

3. What pitfalls/difficulties will I experience during the swap? (e.g engine mounts)

4. What else will I have to upgrade? (suspension, fuel components, etc as the 3sgte will perhaps be a heavier and thirstier engine).

Thanks a bunch,

Rommel the iCeMAn

Barbados, Caribbean.

1993 350HP Celica GT-FOUR (about to be sold)

potential AS200 owner :driving: :winky:

1. Hmmm, difficult one - you need to remember the 3s-GTE was designed to be mounted sideways, rather than in-line, that could be an issue.

2. From what i've heard, its not the HP you need to consider, its the torque.. but around the 300bhp mark is nearing the limit from what ive heard.

3. Again, it was designed to be fitted sideways (cant remember the proper term, longitudal?), I think there may be a sump issue also.

4. Brakes, you'll want to upgrade the brakes, and the clutch, and suspension is probably a good idea also..

Thanks for the reply,

I wonder if I will be satisfied with 300bhp, seeing that my previous Celica GT-Four did just under 400bhp (before I detuned it to 350). :whistling::driving: As for the sump issue I wonder if it can be solved with modification or even by swapping in the sump from the 3SGE.

Hmmmm ... :zee:

Maybe I need to consider the mother of all swaps, if I can find an orphaned 2jz-gte (with gearbox) :arrrggg-matey:

Thanks again,

The way i see it, your options are:

1. Keep 3SGTE, purchase 3SGE BEAMS, perform the 3SGTE conversion to the BEAMS motor (one of the Altezza Clubbers in NZ has done this)

2. Sell 3SGTE to fund a 1JZGTE or more expensive 2JZGTE conversion (we have a few such conversions in our club also!)

If you are worried about the work required for a conversion, though, do not consider the 1J or 2J conversion - custom engine mounts, gearbox, diff etc! If you want power over handling though - the results are truly awesome though, much more power then is healthy, and with coilovers and the like, still very respectable handling.

1. Keep 3SGTE, purchase 3SGE BEAMS, perform the 3SGTE conversion to the BEAMS motor (one of the Altezza Clubbers in NZ has done this)

1. What exactly is this conversion?

2. Does the 3SGE mate to the AS200 gearbox? More to the point, does the AS200 carry the same gearbox as the RS200? As stated in an earlier post, I am worried about the tolerance (to abuse) of the AS200 gearbox.

- and -

3. Even better yet, who is the person that did this? I wish to contact him/her directly or view their posts/articles/website to get all the details I need.

Thanks a lot for the input. :D

• 2 weeks later...

• 8 years later...

I've had my 2002 Lexus IS200 RHD, 1G FE, 6 speed manual for a few years now and have become quiet bored of the 1G FE. I looking to do a conversion as well and thinking of the 3S GTE engine as a possible option.

I spoke to a guy who sells these engines in south africa and he said that it could be done and that I could use an adjuster plate to match the 3S GTE with the Lexus IS200 gearbox. What I want to also know are the details of what else would have to be done to achieve a headache free conversion that won't cost me too much money nor take up too much time. I've read more horror stories than those about smooth conversions.

I'm not looking to race or anything, I just want an IS200 that moves with a bit more conviction than mine is currently doing. 250 - 280 bhp would do me just fine. I use the car daily so a conversion that would also give me better better Power and MPG is welcome.

It is a very lovely car and love its handling. Please help!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links