Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Weak Springs...

cleverdick

The other day, for the first time in this car, I had three [adult] passengers, and found that when driving on a 'wavy' road, the car would bounce uncontrollably, even hitting the bump stops. The rear of the car was certainly sitting much lower than normal.

I see there's another post on this - so at least I'm not alone! Having had new (OEM) rear shocks within the last 6 months, I can only assume that the springs are very weak - they certainly appear rusty. BTW, I don't have the air suspension, just the bog-standard setup! I once read that dampers do not affect ride height, thus confirming my suspicion of the springs.

Has anyone on here had new springs, and what kind of difference did it make?

Thanks,

R

1990 LS400

• 2 weeks later...

I got 217,000 out of my LS4000 before selling it on, and although it didn't look any lower when empty. I noticed it did seem to be ready to bottom out on those square speed bump pads a lot more frequently from about 200,000.

I hope that you changed the shocks after the bouncing event, as The dampers should have taken care of the uncontrollable bit. If the bouncing etc was after the damper change, then either you need to double check the shocks are correct, change your driving style, or find straighter roads.

I frequently take from Zero passengers to a full load, and the handling definately changes according to load. You cannot do the same brisk manouvres in a fully loaded car that you can in an empty car. It wil wallow and sway more when loaded.

You cannot get smooth without sacrificing ride quality. So to get the smooth ride when empty it car is like a thick blanchmange when full.

The later 430 is crisper and has more suspension options. But to get almost sporty seetings for cornering you sacrifice ride quality.

Agree with what Pyrex says,from what ive read the mk1 were very very softly sprung/damped.The rear ride height on my car (mk1) was normal and on the high side unladen.But as soon as you had people sit in the back you could see the rear of the car go down maybe 2 or 3 inches :o and with a full tank full of full i also could feel the rear of the car bottom out over rough rolling roads at not very high speeds.The car with just me in it driving would handle differently with a full tank of fuel against nearly empty.Like above over time they have addressed it with the newer models.The mk1 was mainly setup for the American smooth roads.

I have seen the odd mk1/mk2 with a rear low ride height where the suspension had got tired or done alot of work,so if the rears low unladen then the springs could need replacing.

Cheers chips.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links