Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I had joined ages ago and never made a post.

Been reading through post and would like to thanks everyone for the tips

I have LS400 L reg and I love it.

I get strange knocking noise from Near side when at low speed.

Also my power steering is on its way out as I have to keep filling it up when i go over 90mph (sometimes the steering does not come back from high speed)

If anyone has any tips about this as my garage says they cant find a leak at all from the power steering.

Also when starting up from cold I get alot of white petrol smelling smoke.

No tips I'm afraid, but welcome to the Club!

Hi Justin,

If you have to keep filling it up it must be leaking, I have repaired 2 LS400's with a similar problem both turned out to be the rubber 'O' ring on the spigot of the PS fluid reservoir where it attaches to the pump, its only held on by a 10mm bolt, a new 'O' ring will be about 5p against a fortune for a new pump.

I have written on this in greater depth in another thread on the same problem on the site have a trawl around.

I hope it is the 'O' ring?

Regards,

Chris Vince

Hi I had joined ages ago and never made a post.

Been reading through post and would like to thanks everyone for the tips

I have LS400 L reg and I love it.

I get strange knocking noise from Near side when at low speed.

Also my power steering is on its way out as I have to keep filling it up when i go over 90mph (sometimes the steering does not come back from high speed)

If anyone has any tips about this as my garage says they cant find a leak at all from the power steering.

It would be worth checking the valve on the pump.Lots of info on USA site.

As Andy says, the US forum has the full explanation, but the summary is if the white smoke is happening the steering fluid is being sucked into the intake through a faulty air valve on the steering pump. You can check this yourself by pulling the small rubber hose off the intake manifold (just in front of the shiny Lexus symbol on the nice "air intake chamber" casting at the top of the engine), £50 says it has power steering fluid in it! Thats the most common leak path if there is no fluid showing externally on any of the parts, yet you are consumming the red stuff.

The not coming back from high speed is something that has happened to me, very scarry as it can make the steering EXTREMELY heavy, almost locked up. The system does have speed sensitivity and when I work out whats wrong with mine I will tell you. The first thing to check is the solenoid filter on the steering rack itself. Mine was clogged badly, and it was lighter after cleaning but my problem still remains, yours may not. It takes 20 minutes at the most to

1) jack up front wheels, taking off the drivers side

2) undo the electrical connection, prise the larger of the two clips off first as this releases the clamping force on the rubber seal in the electrical connector and allows you to easily pull the connector apart

3) gently tap the solenoid anticlockwise with some heavy sharp instrument i.e a cold chisel (I used a hole punch) and remove the solenoid

4) catch the steering fluid that leaks out

5) GENTLY prise the filter off the solenoid by inserting something blunt and flat under it and levering against the shoulder. Clean it very carefully as you cannot buy a replacement (you can but it comes with the pinion assembly and is £390)

6) install is reverse of procedure, fill up the reservoir, start the engine for ONLY TWO seconds, which runs the pump briefly. repeat untill fluid level doesn't drop (about 300 mls spilled out of mine)

7) With the engine speed below 1,000 rpm, turn the steering wheel to left or right full lock and keep it there for 2–3 seconds, then turn the wheel to the reverse full lock and keep it there for 2–3 seconds.and turn wheel side to side to get out any air bubbles.

8) jack down and enjoy lighter steering! Will give a technical reason when I have finished reading the appropriate section of the shop manuals.

Hope you have a printer!!

Regards,

Leadfoot

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links