Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Please! 18" Wheel Problem

martin27

Hi,

Any help with this would be very much appreciated - I bought an 04 ex-demonstrator IS200 Sport with Aero Pack, 18" wheels etc from a Lexus dealer in scotland...around 3 months ago. This is my third IS but 1st sport.

The car has had consistent problems with steering etc. and I am now losing confidence in the dealer to rectify. In summary

Problem 1 - Car Wandering and Poor Handling - Geometry Adjusted by dealer

Problem 2 - Steering wobble at 50-60mph - Wheels rebalanced by dealer - OK

Problem 3 - Steering wobble returns, blamed on buckled wheel - wheels replaced - OK.

Problem 4 - Rubbing noise from front wheels whilst reversing on full lock - "faulty" off-side suspension arm replaced.

Problem 5 - Wheel wobble returns, blamed on another buckled wheel, wheels and tyres replaced - OK

Current Problem - Rubbing noise from front wheels whilst reversing on full lock returns!!! - Dealer blaming incorrect splashguard fitted, a modified one is required on IS's with lowered suspension. Damage observed to both front splashguards caused by tire contact on reversing. Also noted is about a 10 degree shift in the centre of steering when a passenger is in the car - is this normal?

My problem (other than the above!!) is that the lowered SE model I have been loaned, which has been fitted with my old 18" wheels, does not have the same problem (no modified splashguards here!) and the ride on this is much softer and predictable. This coupled with the fact that this is a recurring problem which did go away (albeit only for a couple of days) is starting to worry me!

I am fast losing confidence in the car and the dealer (who have been nice about it!)to rectify. My hints at a replacement car or refund were blown out of the water...Lexus don't appear to be interested either, no-one will speak to me other than the friendly customer care advisor.

Any suggestions or help on potential causes would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Marty

Somebody has taken the splashgaurd out and not fitted it right.

You would be better off finding out some history on the car if you can.

Reason being, it sound like this car has been crashed along the line and not properly fixed. That could cause 2 buckled wheels, damaged suspension arms and also replaced bumber that could have meant the splash gaurd was not fitted to the new bumper correctly!

I removed my bumper to get the intercooler from the s/c out and my mate never put the splash gaurd on right.

Consequently I developed rubing on full lock while reversing and the splash gaurd then came off at 135mph and pinned itself against the wheel taking a large patch off my tyre!

Somebody has taken the splashgaurd out and not fitted it right.

You would be better off finding out some history on the car if you can.

Reason being, it sound like this car has been crashed along the line and not properly fixed. That could cause 2 buckled wheels, damaged suspension arms and also replaced bumber that could have meant the splash gaurd was not fitted to the new bumper correctly!

I removed my bumper to get the intercooler from the s/c out and my mate never put the splash gaurd on right.

Consequently I developed rubing on full lock while reversing and the splash gaurd then came off at 135mph and pinned itself against the wheel taking a large patch off my tyre!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - they are saying that the problem with the wheels is due to a manufacturing fault.

And the second set went as well, and at least I know I didn't crash!

When you lower any car the geometry goes to 'pants' when the geometry was re-set did you get a printout? if yes can you show it?....

Lower the car 30mm adds 1 degree of neg camber and lowers the castor by 45', this reduces the TOOT by about 1 degree, and all this is without the overall effect on the lock angles, so the geo is parramount with your problem...... got that print!

When you lower any car the geometry goes to 'pants' when the geometry was re-set did you get a printout? if yes can you show it?....

Lower the car 30mm adds 1 degree of neg camber and lowers the castor by 45', this reduces the TOOT by about 1 degree, and all this is without the overall effect on the lock angles, so the geo is parramount with your problem...... got that print!

Hi and thanks for looking at this for me...

The final geometry settings from the printout are ('=degree):-

Front Axle

Right Toe 0'03

Left Toe 0'06

Total Toe 0'09

Right Camber -0'24

Left Camber -0'12

Rear Axle

Right Toe 0'00

Left Toe 0'00

Total Toe 0'00

Right Camber -0'36

Left Camber -1'24

All others are blank - caster, sai, included angle, setback, thrust etc.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for looking at this for me...

The final geometry settings from the printout are ('=degree):-

Front Axle

Right Toe 0'03

Left Toe 0'06

Total Toe 0'09

Right Camber -0'24

Left Camber -0'12

Rear Axle

Right Toe 0'00

Left Toe 0'00

Total Toe 0'00

Right Camber -0'36

Left Camber -1'24

All others are blank - caster, sai, included angle, setback, thrust etc.

Thanks in advance

The reason for the 'blank' areas on the print is because they did 'not' do a full geometry, i can only give a partial oppinion for the same reason.

Did they expain why the rear camber on the ns has three times the value than the os? also why are the toe settings @ 0? The front i cannot comment.

As things stand now you 'will' have real problems,

1: left turn oversteer

2: right turn understeer

3: wet road roundabout loss of control if the osr tyre hits a bump or rides a drain cover

Geometry is not just a set of figures it's also a set of forces, you cars geometry shows no equilibrium... sorry things read a bit pants :crybaby: i would rather you were down in the mouth than down in Casualty. On that note maybe a visit back to shop is needed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links