Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd Sat Nav

Is it possible to take the DVD out of my sat nav unit and make a back up copy in case anything happens to the original.

Not supposed to do it but I'm reliably told that so many high value vehicles (BMWs, Audis etc) have had the original DVD Rom removed (probably because of the huge cost of replacement) that some people, even small dealers, take copies of everything that passes through their hands. So the answer is probably yes, probably illegal, but so long as it is not for resale I can't see any problem.

Kent.

Thanks for the reply, I understand the legality of the issue and I think as long as it is not for resale no problem, next question is how easy is it to take out of the unit, or has somebody already posted instructions.

Mine is an IS 300 Sport X with the unit by the spare wheel in the rear so yours might be located differently. However all I had to do is expose the front of the DVD player by loosening one screw and removing another. You will then see a slot for the DVD and beside it a slider. Push this slider across and you will expose the eject button. Push this and out slides the disc. (make sure your ignition key is turned to on although I didn't need to have the engine running)

Kent.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it possible to take the DVD out of my sat nav unit and make a back up copy in case anything happens to the original.

With a DVD - DL read-write unit, Alcohol 120% last version and a DVD+R DL 8.5GB recordable... no problem!

I just backuped my navigation DVD and works fine. The original is a black one, made by AISIN AW and NaviTech and was in a RX-300.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to make one backup copy of my disk and used a Verbatim double layer DVD+R 8.4GB disc to take about 6GB worth of data but the system in my GS430 would not read the copy, any ideas as to how I resolve? It was copied using Nero Burning ROM 6. Thanks, Marcus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links