Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy Tyres

Ogry

Hi guys

New 2 the Lexus IS200 sport experience hoping you can help?

2002 Lexus IS 200 Sport, brand new tyres when bought Bridgestone Potenza 17" Dia 215/45 ZR, 4000 miles later the noise from the front end sounds like the wheel bearings are b------ks, 50mph plus and rumble bloody rumble, is this normal or just me , I keep wishing for deafness. :crybaby:

Car booked into the dealer 4/10/05 hoping for a heads up before the event.

PS Where can I get a set of blue neon scuff plates, lexus used to sell as an accessory but appear to have dropped the part . :yawn:

hi,

a rumble is not normal at all, may well be a bearing on its way.

make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated 33psi front and back( for normal load and normal speeds) check this when the tyres are cold also.

there were problems with the scuff plates as some stopped working after a while. where to get - not sure

hi,

make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated 33psi  front and back( for normal load and normal speeds)  check this when the tyres are cold also.

there were problems with the  scuff plates as some stopped working after a while.  where to get - not sure

Ive done the usual checks, no sign of damage or wear & the cars only done 30,000 miles :duh: not very impressed, will let u know the outcome

hi,

make sure that your tyres are correctly inflated 33psi  front and back( for normal load and normal speeds)  check this when the tyres are cold also.

there were problems with the  scuff plates as some stopped working after a while.  where to get - not sure

Ive done the usual checks, no sign of damage or wear & the cars only done 30,000 miles :duh: not very impressed, will let u know the outcome

The correct pressure for the Potenza 040 -215/45/ZR17 according to my 04 model is 35 psi si gle driver.

I found the Potenza 040s a bit noisy but have just changed all 4 to potenza 050 s

with great results .Tyre is much quiter better high and low speed responce .

its a totally different ballgame from the 040s

PS Check for cracks in the grooves if you have 040s as Bridgestone gave me a 50% refund with 22,000 on the clock.

Nick

hi,

The correct pressure for the Potenza 040 -215/45/ZR17 according to my 04 model is 35 psi si gle driver.

I found the Potenza 040s a bit noisy but have just changed all 4 to potenza 050 s

with great results .Tyre is much quiter better high and low speed responce .

its a totally different ballgame from the 040s

PS Check for cracks in the grooves if you have 040s as Bridgestone gave me a 50% refund with 22,000 on the clock.

Nick

Thanks Nick

I checked tyre pressures last night after leaving work up them to 35 psi from 33 and s--t its even noisier :crybaby: wheels off at the w/end must check front w/bearings cant wait for the dealer. :tsktsk:

Hmmm, rumble, i had this....

I only ever had it in 6th gear at around 3 - 4k rpm, no other time, if I dip the clutch or change into 5th gear it goes, only happened in 6th. I can only approximate the sound to a prop shaft rumble. Anyway, long story short it was my gear box which they replaced and now the horrible bass drumming noise has gone.

My better halfs IS200 does it as well, again, only in 6th.

The Lexus inspector who test drove the car to verify such an expensive warranty claim said he had a few of these in and the gear boxes tollerances were very fine in 6th gear and I had one that was out by 3! 3 what? I don't know, but mine was out 3. So he got me a fully tested box which is 0 so I now have a rumble free gear box of 0, what ever that means.

There you go......

:)

I only ever had it in 6th gear at around 3 - 4k rpm, no other time, if I dip the clutch or change into 5th gear it goes, only happened in 6th.  I can only approximate the sound to a prop shaft rumble.  Anyway, long story short it was my gear box which they replaced and now the horrible bass drumming noise has gone.

The Lexus inspector who test drove the car to verify such an expensive warranty claim said he had a few of these in and the gear boxes tollerances were very fine in 6th gear and I had one that was out by 3!  3 what?  I don't know, but mine was out 3.  So he got me a fully tested box which is 0 so I now have a rumble free gear box of 0, what ever that means.

There you go......

Hi guys

As promised an update,

Techie@ Lexus Bristol diagnosed the fault as worn o/s front wheel bearing, replaced front hub,bearing and tightened balljoint? now awaiting delivery to see If its cured, :crybaby:

*** I miss my Lexus, had to use a Merc taxi last nite , crap..... :tsktsk:

I only ever had it in 6th gear at around 3 - 4k rpm, no other time, if I dip the clutch or change into 5th gear it goes, only happened in 6th.  I can only approximate the sound to a prop shaft rumble.  Anyway, long story short it was my gear box which they replaced and now the horrible bass drumming noise has gone.

The Lexus inspector who test drove the car to verify such an expensive warranty claim said he had a few of these in and the gear boxes tollerances were very fine in 6th gear and I had one that was out by 3!  3 what?  I don't know, but mine was out 3.  So he got me a fully tested box which is 0 so I now have a rumble free gear box of 0, what ever that means.

There you go......

Hi guys

As promised an update,

Techie@ Lexus Bristol diagnosed the fault as worn o/s front wheel bearing, replaced front hub,bearing and tightened balljoint? now awaiting delivery to see If its cured, :crybaby:

*** I miss my Lexus, had to use a Merc taxi last nite , crap..... :tsktsk:

Finally car delivered, no bill

:D Success, cured, ace, back 2 normal :driving:

got to drive, now where my LOC badges? :hehe:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links